2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, it's not for me. :D I'm doing a little research for someone close to me who is considering one of these procedures, and is roughly 100+ pounds overweight. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the pros and cons of these procedures in real life? Would you recommend it for your "sister/brother/parent/child/best friend/baby momma" if they were 100+ pounds overweight?

Please try to keep the replies on topic, as I will have the person I am referring to read this thread for serious advice. ;)

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Jeff, You might try PMing POG who won the 2Cool weight challenge a couple of months ago. He had the surgery around the beginning of this year if I remember it right. I would value his opinion.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Agree about going back to their original weight (okay there was a post about it earlier). I know two that have done it and both are about 2 years removed from the procedure. One lost I would guess approx. 175 lbs., she has since gained back about 100 of that. The other lost roughly 125 and is back to original weight, possibly over.

If a person has a medical condiition and gets serious about maintaining a healthy weight, I think it is a worthwhile procedure. If a person has no immediate health concern or need to lose the extra weight fast I think diet and exercise is a healthier and more rewarding way to shed the extra lbs.

Obviously a doctor would be a more qualified person to "weigh" in.

12lb

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
Jeff, out of the two the band is the simplest procedure wise and allows for adjustment should it become necessary.

The gastric bypass isn't simple and I'm not sure that it can be reversed. I do know that with the bypass alcohol is forever out of the picture for the recipient.

Both only allow the stomach to hold so much food so over-eating isn't a problem once either procedure is completed.

TH

·
Registered
917 Posts
I work with Anesthesiologist who are a vital part of this procedure but all the Anesthesiologist I work with are not allowed to do these procedures as our mal-practice will not cover them due to the high risk.

Also about 6 months ago my mother in law had a friend who was about 200lbs over weight and had the procedure done and within a month she passed away. She was from the Corpus area.

My opinion for what it is worth....exercise and learn to eat the correct food portions and the weight will slowly come off...

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
I have an Aunt-in-law that had the by-pass done. She was (+-)200lbs over weight. she lost about 100lbs, then gained it all back, plus a bit. The problem was she didn't change her lifestyle. Without a lifestyle change, you WILL gain any weight back, regardless of how you lost it.

Myself, I am in Weight Watchers. I lost 25 lbs in Jan-Feb-Mar, and am still 20 down. Trying to decided it I want to loose another 25 or not. Weight watchers is not a Diet, it is a lifestyle change. They teah you how to eat healthy, how to know when to STOP eating (not the no-brainer most folks think) how to loose, and how to maintain you weight. 100lbs is very do-able if they stick with it.

Tell you friend good luck with what ever they chose, and congrats on making the decition to be healthy.

Jerry

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had the laproscopic gastric bypass in January of this year. So far, I've lost 115 pounds. I have about 50 pounds to go to reach my goal (@ 210).

Thr reason that I opted for the surgery was that I had tried EVERYTHING to lose weight. I have had a weight problem since I was very young. Eventually, my health was being compromised (coronary problems caused by plaque build-up due to high cholesterol, high BP and I was borderline diabetic). I was out of choices if I wanted to live a lot longer. I would have given anything to be able to lose AND keep the weight off with excercise and better eating, but I was unable to do so. I did a lot of research and consulted with all of my doctors. Everyone agreed that the gastric bypass was a good choice for me. So far, it's been a blessing. I feel better that I've felt in over 15 years. I'm off of BP meds. My cholesterol was 114 when checked recently, and my blood sugar is normal.

As with any surgery, there are risks, and gastric bypass (also lapband) have their risks. In my case, the risks outweighed my current health issues. My insurance co. agreed and paid for most of the surgical costs.

The surgeon I used is in Houston. He has monthly seminars to explain both proceedures, and to answer questions. The seminar is free.

Your friend can feel free to PM or email me with any questions. This is a very important decission. It took me 2 years to decide on this option.

Less POG is more POG.

Wayne

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
Jeff....a friend of mine had the gastric bypass and ended up in the hospital for a long time with a staph infection. Then, he had to have all the excess skin cut off and again had a long hospital stay.

I remember going to a benefit in April, 2005, for a young lady that passed away from having that surgery. She was somehow related to Captain Wayne or someone on the outdoors show (I think)....cant' remember. Capt. Doug, Sowtrout, Billystix, and a few other TTMB'ers were at the benefit--they might remember the details.

My best friend's ex-husband had the lap band and I'm not sure if he just didn't follow the directions or what....but he is bigger than he was when he had the procedure done.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Man, I've been thinking of posting this question Myself (for Myself).

The wife and I have been thinking of having it done. We are trying to get registered to go to one of the siminars in August.

And I have heard the same thing about gaining the weight back. You have to change you life style. But I think loosig the weight should be a great modivator.

Because I'm over weight, I have diabetes and thats the main reason I want to loose weight. I want to live to see my son grow up.
But I didn't get this way because I Could Control my eating....:D
So I think this will help me get going. I'm going for the Lapband. I don't like the idea of having my stomach cut up.........uuuggggghhh....Jeeezzz!! :eek:

ShadMan said:
No, it's not for me. :D I'm doing a little research for someone close to me who is considering one of these procedures, and is roughly 100+ pounds overweight. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the pros and cons of these procedures in real life? Would you recommend it for your "sister/brother/parent/child/best friend/baby momma" if they were 100+ pounds overweight?

Please try to keep the replies on topic, as I will have the person I am referring to read this thread for serious advice. ;)

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
12lbtest said:
One lost I would guess approx. 175 lbs., she has since gained back about 100 of that. The other lost roughly 125 and is back to original weight, possibly over.12lb
If they don't change their lifestyle, nothing will work.

Go to the "Fit Life" section of this website.

www.bodiesrebuilt.com

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Pm Reeltime1 Rickey Repka he went from 475 to 225 by using the gastric by-pass procedure. Someone made a post about his restaurant a couple of weeks ago. He pm me and said he was a big boy no mo and feeling better than ever.
Tight Knot

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
Don't be rude folks. There are a number of reasons for people to be overweight and sometimes it has nothing to do with their not being able to control a desire to eat more food.

Just a thought.

TH

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I know 4 people, 2 women 2 men. 1 woman lost 175+ and has still maintained the loss 2+ yrs, the other lost 150 but has put 25-50 back on because of life style choices. 1 man died from complications the other has lost 200+. He did it because of health issues (heart, BP, diabetes) those are are in check. All where Gastro bypass

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
A niece had the gastric by-pass about 10 years ago. She lost a lot of weight and has maintained it pretty much since then. Sorry I don't have the numbers but it was in the 150lb range. She also made the comittment to change her lifestyle which made the difference long term.
Jeff, whichever direction your friend/family member takes I wish them the very best and know this is a tough decision.

·
Registered
917 Posts
gastric bypass, I'll ask my mother in law and see if she knows.

Look at Charlie Weis the coach of Notre Dame....he had some internal bleeding for about 30 hours after the procedure and now he has tons of problems. He even tried to sue the doctors at Mass General and it only took the jury a short time to side with the doctors.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Soapeddler said:
If they don't change their lifestyle, nothing will work.

Go to the "Fit Life" section of this website.

www.bodiesrebuilt.com
From your site...
"It may not be your fault that you haven't been successful in your weight loss. Although healthy eating and lifestyle changes are imperative to weight loss, metabolic disorders and organ dysfunction will prevent your success. "

No one who considers sugery has not already tried everything else. Sugery is scary, just not quite as scary as dieing an early death. How about a little more credit for these folks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
July 21 was my 2 YR anniversary for Gastric Bypass I am 47 years old. My wife's surgery was 3 weeks after me. I lost 130# my wife 95# (Greatest thing we ever did) within 2 months all medications were gone no more BP Meds, Diabetes type2, sleep aptnea machine, It will take about 6mos to a year for you to be able to eat all the different food groups again sugars, fatty foods, chewy breads, dont go down well at first but will in time. A correction to one of the comments in previous posts you can drink alcohol, but I am a cheaper drunk ,it doesn't take as much.

As far as the comments about folks who died from the procedure, my doctor said if I did not correct my weight My quality of life would diminish in the next 5-10 years with all my health problems. Have you ever seen someone die from diabetes ? Not a pretty sight to lose your limbs one at a time. It is definately worth the risk. My Internal medicine Doctor would not let me even consider Lap Band, much lower long term success rate and you do not get the benifit of less effective digestion that you get from Gastric Bypass. My wife and I would do it again tomorrow in Heartbeat changed our lives, Insurance paid for almost all expenses.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My ex-husband had the procedure Jan. 04. He went from 620 (yes, that is correct) to 340 and has maintained that, give or take 15-20 pounds. Yes, food intake options were very limited for a while but he now eats just about everything, slowly and in smaller portions. He does drink and I think that explains the fluctuations. I know that he would do it all over again, and I fear that had he not had the procedure when he did, he would not be with us now.

He used Dr. Naman at in the Memorial/Beltway 8 hospital. Dr. Naman isn't much on bedside manner but an excellent surgeon, esp. since he was able to do it laproscopically......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts