2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the good news is the weather was good enough to use the boat quite a bit. But now I need some of those use tax $$ back.

Anybody know where to get the form to file for this?

Thanks.

·
11,766 Posts
Gas is taxed for road use, does not apply to gas used in boats. Keep your reciepts and get some, if not all, the tax money back.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Too Tall said:
Gas is taxed for road use, does not apply to gas used in boats. Keep your reciepts and get some, if not all, the tax money back.
I can see the logic if the boat is kept in dry storage at a marina or in the water. But if you trailer the boat aren't you contributing to the wear and tear of the road like a motor vehicle does? Perhaps a small portion of the tax should be non-refundable if they didn't factor this into the equation. Yea right, like that's gonna happen!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
RB - you pay for that part of the road use when you buy gas for the tow vehicle. Why should we pay for using the road twice?

BTW, the state does keep 2% (IIRC) of the refund for "administrative fee", But so far this summer, I've prolly bought 100 gallons of gas between the boat and the jetski so far this year, so an extra $20 in my pocket - I'm not gonna complain. Think of how much the offshore guys could get back!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
RB - you pay for that part of the road use when you buy gas for the tow vehicle. Why should we pay for using the road twice?
I agree but those that never tow anything pay roughly the same and do not put as much wear on the road as someone who is towing something. Hypothetically speaking of course.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Hypothetically speaking of course, you are a democrat? LOL

uhh ohh... I turned this post into the other board. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
RodBreaker - When you are towing a boat your gas mileage is worse so you buy more gas for the tow vehicle... So it seems it all evens out!

·
11,766 Posts
Rod breaker, The only gas you can get the tax refunded is what was burned by the boat motor. You cannot get a refund for the gas burned while pulling the boat to the water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts