2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to briefly share my experience with Garmin support.

I sent my 2017 7610xsv in for repair of a screen that was showing early signs of delamination. The plan was for them to repair it for free and through a series of unfortunate events, my unit was unable to be repaired (it was in repairable shape when they received it). They offered to replace it with a new 8610xsv. After looking at the cutout and mounting screw locations, I realized the 8610 wasn’t going to be a straightforward install into my console with a 7610 cutout.

Long story short, they are sending me a brand new 8612xsv at no cost!

I love all my Garmin gear and have had nothing but great experiences each time I’ve called into Garmin for help learning to tune my equipment or other general “how to” questions.

If you’re on the fence about which brand to go with, I hope you jump off onto the Garmin side!

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
agreed customer support second to non. i've called them from the water before. always call with unit on in front of you.

·
Registered
847 Posts
first time dealing with Garmin on repair/ actually replacement. Broke the ears off my Striker 4 transducer. Ordered a new transducer 2 weeks ago and got a confirmation. No communication since. I'm usually a patient person so I usually give 'em a little time. Knowing about the difficulties companies are having in these times! Thinkin I should have heard from them about shipping/delays by now. About to call 'em to check

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,565 Posts
The only gripe that I have with Garmin is that they won't save your data on whatever it is you send them for repair or replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only gripe that I have with Garmin is that they won't save your data on whatever it is you send them for repair or replacement.
Thats true. Not sure how easy it is on different units, but I routinely backup my data to my computer so I’ve never really thought too much about it. Do Garmin competitors backup your data? I think it’s pretty standard to backup your own data before sending computer type equipment for service.

first time dealing with Garmin on repair/ actually replacement. Broke the ears off my Striker 4 transducer. Ordered a new transducer 2 weeks ago and got a confirmation. No communication since. I'm usually a patient person so I usually give 'em a little time. Knowing about the difficulties companies are having in these times! Thinkin I should have heard from them about shipping/delays by now. About to call 'em to check
I wouldn’t hesitate to call them. They are having some supply chain issues and longer lead times than normal.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,565 Posts
Thats true. Not sure how easy it is on different units, but I routinely backup my data to my computer so I’ve never really thought too much about it. Do Garmin competitors backup your data? I think it’s pretty standard to backup your own data before sending computer type equipment for service.

I wouldn’t hesitate to call them. They are having some supply chain issues and longer lead times than normal.
I back mine up religiously, however it's extremely hard, impossible really, to back up a unit when it stops working and you've added waypoints that were not backed up. They could do it, I've offered to pay for that service but they won't do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I back mine up religiously, however it's extremely hard, impossible really, to back up a unit when it stops working and you've added waypoints that were not backed up. They could do it, I've offered to pay for that service but they won't do it.
That’s a good point. Luckily I haven’t been in that situation. I’d be pretty frustrated if that happened though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts