2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a 545s that has the new G2Vision card, has anyone used this new vision card and if so was it worth the extra money? Thanks

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question, I am considering two different models. They both have the same screen size but one has 240 X 320 pixels and the other has 480 X 640 pixels, I assume that the one with more pixels would show greater detail but does that sound like enough to make a difference? Thanks

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I now just have to find the cheapest place to order the 545s, I have found them priced from 856.97 all the way up to 1200$ for the unit without the card and looks like the card is another 250$.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The 545 screen has twice the definition for both gpsmap and fishfinder than the 540. It is like once you watch HDTV it is hard to go back to basic.

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
Who has the best selection on gps in the houston/galveston area.Would like to take a look at the 545. And find a place that knows their stuff about the different models..Thanks

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They had the 545s at Fishing Tackle Unlimited but would not budge on the price, it was priced at just under 1200$. I have found them anywhere from just under 900$ to 1200$.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
black and white is all you need , make sure it has a base map... my balck and white gpsmap 76portable can be hooked up to my computer to download all the info and upload the info for easy usage. $199 todays price andmine has 3000 hrs on it ,i have drop it in the saltwater and it floats .. anything else is just extra and waste. my compass is also black and white and not color .. lol , you must be able to hook it up to computer for easy download or upload.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boashna said:
black and white is all you need , make sure it has a base map... my balck and white gpsmap 76portable can be hooked up to my computer to download all the info and upload the info for easy usage. $199 todays price andmine has 3000 hrs on it ,i have drop it in the saltwater and it floats .. anything else is just extra and waste. my compass is also black and white and not color .. lol , you must be able to hook it up to computer for easy download or upload.
Well I guess I will just waste my money then because I will not buy another gps or depthfinder that is not color, I have had many and the color screen makes a big difference. By the way I have that same gps 76 and it has been a good unit but why would I want to mess with uploading and downloading the same **** that now comes programmed as the base map? The next time you are with someone that has a color screen gps set your unit beside theirs and you will see the night and day difference.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
JJtroutkiller buy the color it makes a huge difference.

Do not listen to people who say I've Model XXX and it's all you will ever need...

Electronics are like lures if your not confident in them they will only work with limited results.....

Trust me I know Marine Electronics.....

John

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
I did a lot of research on those models and came to the conclusion the Vision card was of little value if you are a bay fisherman. As far as resolution,once you go color, the rest is also of little value. The real step up is to daylight viewable color in any resolution. The 498 has the detailed marine maps, but not the photo's. The 498 does use the old style Garmin card, not an SD, and it is serial, not USB. At almost half the price, I decided on the 498. I love mine.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
How fast the screen can refresh I.E. zooming in and out, would be very important to me. I can't stand my old Garmin 162 with a memory intensive base map working i nthe background. Just to slow to use it effectively navigating in the bays. By the time the map is bult, I could already be on top of shell or shore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts