2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have the Garmin 176 on my small boat. It's a 16' heavy aluminum w/ steering console. While running the GPS vibrates so badly that I had to silicone the power cord in because it was constantly falling out. I also had to hold onto the unit 1) so I could view it and 2) so it didn't damage itself from the shaking. Well, just recently, while running across Lake Sabine, my son called to tell me the damned thing FELL OFF!!! $600 down the tube! After looking at the bracket later, we noticed it was cracked on one side. Has anyone else had shaking problems? I'm going to replace it with the 276C GPS, but I think I'l fabricate a brace for this one (and maybe a bungee cord too).

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have a 176 and I have not had this type of problem..What typed of bracket did you have ?? was it a Garmin or after market ?

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
Have you noticed anything else vibrating on the boat? Could be something with the motor..bent prop shaft ..out of balance prop..causing such a vibration. something to check

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No vibratios to speak of. Infact, my fishfinder is mounted on the BOW and I can read it while running just fine. the only thing that shakes is that unit. I think it's just too tall for that bracket.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My 176 mount is made of plastic too,I think all of Garmin mounts are made of plastic, but mine has a knob on both sides to attach the display. I'm thinking the vibration could be from the mount not being fully attached on one side.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I also have an aluminum boat and my GPS shakes/vibrates a lot when cruising choppy water. I haven't had trouble with the power cord falling out, but I have put my hand on it to steady it.

My solution? Slow down on choppy water. If the GPS is vibrating that bad, we are getting beat up too. Does it do that when it's smooth?

thanks for the heads up!! Will check my bracket.

A Salt Weapon said:
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have the Garmin 176 on my small boat. It's a 16' heavy aluminum w/ steering console. While running the GPS vibrates so badly that I had to silicone the power cord in because it was constantly falling out. I also had to hold onto the unit 1) so I could view it and 2) so it didn't damage itself from the shaking. Well, just recently, while running across Lake Sabine, my son called to tell me the damned thing FELL OFF!!! $600 down the tube! After looking at the bracket later, we noticed it was cracked on one side. Has anyone else had shaking problems? I'm going to replace it with the 276C GPS, but I think I'l fabricate a brace for this one (and maybe a bungee cord too).

·
Back in da Saddle
10,140 Posts
Be advised the mounting system for the 276/376 units is very weak and your going to have a very hard time seeing it while running the boat....

John

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
If it vibrates hard you might have a bigger problem than the garmin. Keep the gps and replace the boat. I have a 176c and it goes on 4 wheeler, 20' offshore boat, and 31' offshore boat. Never a problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had the same problem with mine. Tried fixing it by adding some bracing inside the bracket, didn't help. Finally changed it out to a RAM mount on all three boats, no more problems & no shaking.

Jeff

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
I won't buy another Garmin product ever. The one I own just shuts off all the time. I feel like throwing mine in the water. The only time I can get mine to work is if I'm sitting still or barely moving. I love spending $650 for a piece of chit.
Go with another brand.
Steve

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shrimpzilla said:
I've had the same problem with mine. Tried fixing it by adding some bracing inside the bracket, didn't help. Finally changed it out to a RAM mount on all three boats, no more problems & no shaking.

Jeff
Jeff, what is a RAM mount. Is it similar to what you would find on a larger depthfinder? I've got to do something though. And to answer the above question, yes, it shakes on smooth water too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Use plywood

I have a garmin 176 that I swap between 3 different boats and two of the brackets finally broke due to vibration. It's not your boat, trust me, it's the cheap made bracket. What I did was cut and fit a small piece of plywood (3/8) and placed it under each end of the bracket. It fit kind of snug but there is no more vibration at all. It is dead steady no matter how ruff the bay is and sure made it easier to read. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ASW,

It's a completely different bracket, uses friction-clamp ball system to hold it still. I bought it from this site:

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-ram-b-138-ga7/ramb138ga7.htm

That was the cheapest place I could find to get it. You just need an extra mounting base for use on another boat. The screw hole pattern on the RAM base is even the exact same as the piece-of-junk Garmin mount.

Jeff

A Salt Weapon said:
Jeff, what is a RAM mount. Is it similar to what you would find on a larger depthfinder? I've got to do something though. And to answer the above question, yes, it shakes on smooth water too.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,646 Posts
jtburf made us a great deal on my garmin GPS btw...I love it and cannot imagine running without it. And to think...we used to wait at the dock to head out for first light. Now we are in our first spot long before the sun comes up! GPS rocks! We have a 188C and it is incredible with the map card in it.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have a garmin 2006c that we bought 2 years ago. After we got it installed we went offshore in 2-3 foot waves in our parker. The same thing happened to us with the power cord. It would keep falling out. We sent it back to Garmin and they replaced the GPS and said there was a problem with it. Has worked great ever since then.
Jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts