2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking In To Buying The 178c, They Have About 3 Other Models That Are Close To The Same ..color Is A Must But What About The Transducers 50/200 Or 200 ...is The Single Beam The Way To Go? Not Going Off-shore Mostly In Coastal Bays...will Be Putting On 18.5 Center Console Allweld Boat...thanks For Any Ides...have Also Looked At The 300 And 400 Models .

·
Old School Proud
550 Posts
I have the obsolete 178c w/internal antenna which has a frequency range of 50-200 khz. I bought the 200 khz transducer PN 010-10249-00 w/depth & temperature capability when I installed it several years ago. I am pleased w/its features and it works very good in the bays. Unfortunately that transducer is also obolete but a suitable substitute would probably be the dual frequency 50/200khz w/depth & temperature PN 010-102720-00.

Keep in mind that w/the 178c you will need to buy the program chip w/Morgan City LA to Brownville to get the detailed map data of the Texas coast. I believe the newer Garmin models have the software built in but of course at a higher price. I spent several hundred extra $$ for the computer interface options such as the program chip reader to manage my waypoints and 110vac power supply to familarize myself w/the unit while off the water.

Good luck w/your choice.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
garmin

i was looking last night at the garmins and the 178c is discontinued. the 178c looked like the one i wanted too. the new sounders look a little confuseing to determine which one to get.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
garmin

looks like the 440s or the more expensive 540s is what garmin has now. looks like they come preloaded and have a different kind of map. i think its a satalitte image now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts