2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS this a good chip. I have a Garmin 540 that shows the map. Does the chip show reefs/contours on it? What do you get with it.

THe old garmins you basically needed a chip to get anything. It seems like the new ones give you quite a bit more. Does the chip give you enough for $300

·
Registered
923 Posts
540/G2

Let me know what you find out. I have a 540 also and would geta G2 Vision card if it's really worth it.

·
كافر, ملحد, كفري, غير نصراني
377 Posts
G2 Vision Card

I will sell you mine. Bought it and never use it. Call 713-899-1775

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'm a Fan of the G2 Vision Card for Most Boaters

For a lot of us out on the water I think the g2 Vision card is a good deal if you know what it'll do and how to do it. The charts that are preloaded in your 540 or any Garmin preloaded for the coast will show you the reefs, - etc. if your chart detail is turned to Highest. The g2 will add the bathymetric charts for offshore which are the underwater equivalent of the topographic maps for land. This is powerful stuff for the offshore fisherman. The g2 Vision will also add the 3D maps for underwater view and the charts as well as aerial photos of a lot of points of interest like channels, locks, marinas and harbors. And it will give you satellite imagery of the areas you're running. This is all cool stuff but for a bay fisherman not really worth putting $300-$350 into.

The thing that makes the g2 Vision card valuable to many, in my opinion, is the auto-guidance function it adds to your Garmin chartplotter. Here's how it works: When you did your initial setup on your new Garmin you were asked to configure your boat's requirements. You should have entered a safe running depth and height. (Caution: don't get caught up in the my boat only needs 3" to run thing here, this is for keeping your boat from either running aground or hitting a bridge with your T-Top.) Now with the information stored in your boats configuration file it uses the preloaded chart data to show you where to safely run your boat. Now add the g2 Vision cards Auto-Guidance function and the GPS will map out and show you where to run your boat to get to a chosen destination safely. No other GPS make or model out there at this time will do this. I've attached a couple of screen shots to show you what I mean. And for this reason I think the g2 card is an invaluable tool for many running our bays. The other functions are nice add-ons, but this one can make a skipper feel very confident on a new waterway.

And you do not need a g2 Vision card for the Tide - Current - and Celestial information. This data is built in with the preloaded charts.

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to John B

Yeah,
John gave me the rundown. Looks like that the Garmin is just not that detailed compared to Lowrance and others.

FYI if you need the real facts contact Capt John. He also has the GPS points preloaded for all the TX Bays.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Garmin Charts as Good as Any

I do not agree that the Garmin charts are not as detailed as Lowrance and others. Garmin units come from the factory with their chart detail set to Normal. To get the detail I think we all want and need you need to change this setting to More or Most. When this is done I'll put Garmins charts against any of them out there. And to get this detail you do not need another chart card. The charts that are preloaded supply this. You just need to turn it on.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you mean prime fishing times on your Garmin 500 series GPS Chartplotter then I'm not aware of it. I've seen this on some handhelds and I've seen a version of it on the large Garmin units combined with XM weather but I've not see it on the smaller marine units.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
let me rephrase myself

John B did tell me I need to increase the settings. I bought it used so I figured the previous owner set it with "most detail". Maybe he did, maybe he not-we will see next time on the water. This is my first preloaded Garmin. Had the old Garmins with chips & it looked almost as good as the Lowrance I had.

Will give an update once I see if the settings were correct. Did not mean to misquote John B. thanks-sb

·
Banned
640 Posts
The thing that makes the g2 Vision card valuable to many, in my opinion, is the auto-guidance function it adds to your Garmin chartplotter. Here's how it works: When you did your initial setup on your new Garmin you were asked to configure your boat's requirements. You should have entered a safe running depth and height. (Caution: don't get caught up in the my boat only needs 3" to run thing here, this is for keeping your boat from either running aground or hitting a bridge with your T-Top.) Now with the information stored in your boats configuration file it uses the preloaded chart data to show you where to safely run your boat. Now add the g2 Vision cards Auto-Guidance function and the GPS will map out and show you where to run your boat to get to a chosen destination safely. No other GPS make or model out there at this time will do this. I've attached a couple of screen shots to show you what I mean. And for this reason I think the g2 card is an invaluable tool for many running our bays. The other functions are nice add-ons, but this one can make a skipper feel very confident on a new waterway.

And you do not need a g2 Vision card for the Tide - Current - and Celestial information. This data is built in with the preloaded charts.
Sorry Capt John but I gotta call this "sales puffing" and that is as nice as I can do. It is useless in the bays as I unfortunately found out and here is why...this is straight from the Garming FAQs... Not being able to set a route in less than 6ft of water is useless to any bay boat in any bay IMHO.
Question: Why doesn't my BlueChart g2 Vision auto navigate me in certain areas?

Answer: The BlueChart g2 vision cards has a new auto guidance feature. This mapping software along with a compatible GPS device has the ability to create a safe route for the user avoiding known hazards and obstacles which are loaded into the mapping software. It also takes into consideration the "Safe Depth" and the "Safe Height" settings for the vessel, which the user has set up in the device, when calculating the route. One safety feature built into the software is it will not calculate a route through any area where the spot sounding depths are less than 6 feet. This is to prevent a route from being generated which has the possibility to cause the vessel to run aground. This is a safety feature which cannot be overridden when using the auto guidance feature. Even if the user has set their "Safe Depth" to less than 6 feet (e.g. 2 or 3 feet), the auto guidance will still not calculate a route through waters under 6 feet of depth.
Last modified on: 09/16/2009

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have to tell you I've not seen this disclaimer before and I've not seen the limitation either. I have used this card with clients many times both in Matagorda and Galveston and we were able to set a course and have the auto-guidance show us the way. If they've now included a limitation for 6 feet it's news to me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out the next time I'm on a boat so equipped.

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
TTT on this one guys... I am seeing GOM BlueCharts on eBay for CHEAP, like $40... I think I will buy one at that price...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts