2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a problem with their Garmin shutting down from the vibration? Mine works great but as soon as I hit the choppy water it shuts down. I have it mounted on the bracket that came with it but I've considered flush mounting it if I new it would help.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
That is often indication of a power cord problem. Many boater leave the cable hot when they remove the unit. Add a little moisture and you get corroded contacts in the cord. Generally at the unit end. Look closely at the plug end of the cable

·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grayfish said:
That is often indication of a power cord problem. Many boater leave the cable hot when they remove the unit. Add a little moisture and you get corroded contacts in the cord. Generally at the unit end. Look closely at the plug end of the cable
Cord end looks brand new.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
I would plug it in, power it up an start tracing the wiring back to where it is connected. Wiggle the wire about ever six inches to see if the unit fails. Pay particular attention to where the cord goes through the console or bulkhead if so run. If that fails to cause the same problem, gently wiggle the power connector at the unit. If you establish that it is not the connector or wiring, it may be the unit. I would call Garmin tomorrow and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I rode in a friends boat and his did the same thing. His is a 498 also. My 168 went down last week and I replaced it with a 540. I don't like the mount system for the 540. It wobbles in a chop. I guess the swivel has a little play in it. The 168 had a U type rigid mount. Hope you get it figured out. Post a reply when you find a answer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 498 also that seams to loose signal when running across the bay , and the screen seems to be rolling , you can turn it off & on and seems to work fine for several hours. i going to call garmin tomorrow ! i had one about six month ago do the same thing & they replaced it for free.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I had a garmin do the same thing, brand new,, They shipped me a new power cable. had remade the connections already, Come to find out it was not the cord, but a bad connection at the fuse block on the fuse block, I found it by hooking the cord direct with the factory fuse holder , in line, to the battery and ran it, and it did not do it, hook it up to the fuse panel and it would do it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i thought flatscats were supposed to be the smoothest boats out there? buy trim tabs to smoothe the ride out, and maybe your gps will start working. i thought u knew a little bit about wiring problems too.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
TEALnexttime said:
i thought flatscats were supposed to be the smoothest boats out there? buy trim tabs to smoothe the ride out, and maybe your gps will start working. i thought u knew a little bit about wiring problems too.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing!

·
Team BFA
264 Posts
I had to replace the fuse holder in my old unit for doing the same thing. That solved the problem.

A buddy of mine wiped some corrosion x or something similar to the plug on his and it stopped cutting out.

I have also seen some cables with a hard bend break a wire internally.

Good Luck

·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TEALnexttime said:
That's why I'm so concerned. Because it is such a smooth ride and the Garmin still goes out. LOL

SMOOTHEST - DRIEST - SHALLOWEST

I called Garmin and they gave me an RMA# and said send it in. They will replace it if they can not fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts