2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this alligator gar was caught by my buddy on the pilings by kemah boardwalk on live mullet, sunday the 9th, it was 5 foot long and 46pds.

Reactions: txjoker

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i was at work but him and my dad felleted it, or how ever you spell it, yeah i was pretty dissipointed that i didnt get to go on the trip

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
get the axe lol, nice fish. how big was his hook. got alot of gar out here in the backlakes gonna try catching one. Did he just put a wieght on it on the bottom or free line it

·
Banned
682 Posts
Reality Czech said:
Can someone in the know post on how to clean them?,....had them once, and it was delicious.
Here ya go RC...http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipes/cajun/cleaning/705.rcr

So now you have caught a gar or, if you are lucky, have scored one from the locals. How do you clean a gar? The answer depends on whether the gar is small or large. The scales on a gar are hard; hence the nickname "armored fish" therefore a certain technique needs to be applied.

If you'll get two strong hands, a pair of gloves and a knife, we will get started on the small gar. Split the gar on the top (back of fish) by cutting from the head to the tail with the sharp knife and gloved hands. Filet around the skin using one hand to pull the skin back. Cut and skin back around the entire fish angling the knife around the body of the fish and going all the way around. Think of it like peeling a banana work on one side and then the other. Cut the head off after "skinning" the fish as you use the head as a brace to hold the fish in place. Another approach is once it is skinned half way to the tail, cut off the head then reach in and pull the meat out similar to skinning a rabbit. It is also most important to remove the gut as tainting from sea grass can occur.

You will see a web looking bone of which some of the finer bones can be eaten. There is also a bone down the middle of the gar and although you could filet the meat off it, cooking with it still in the meat will give your dish more flavor, especially a garfish roast.

Now if it is a L A R G E gar, nail the head to a large board like a 2x12 (make sure it is a little bigger than the fish or nail the fish to the side of a shed). Depending on the size take a hatchet or an axe; chop the skin along the backbone all the way to the tail. Now start the process of cutting under the skin and filleting the fish. Because the skin is so hard an axe or a hatchet is a must as a knife will not cut it. To ensure your personal and others safety, make sure to keep all fingers and moving parts out of harms way.

A neat and simple but messy thing to do is to take a skill saw and cut small round steaks. Then take a knife and cut around leaving the meat to pop out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We used to fish for them on Caney Creek back in the late 50's. Had a house near the old store. Fished at night with big mullet. Caught lots mostly about 4 ft but some over 6 ft. Lots of fun Try it you will like it. Never ate them myself but had no trouble giving them away.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts