2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how this works. Does the landowner have a biologist come out and tell him what deer to shoot, or do they get their limits plus friends. Just curious- one of my neighbors is involved with it and there is a lot of shooting over there. I'm thinkn they are using it to give a donation to Tx P and D so they can shoot a lot of deer in the area to better the management. i have heard they have shot more than 50 deer in one season and in my area that' a lot especially considering they have less than 1000 acres low-fence.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
TPWD biologists provide on-site deer counts which determine if there are excess deer that need to be removed. There is no donation to the state for this service.

If the survey shows that, say 30 deer, need to be removed to maintain a healthy herd, then the owners take that report and remove 30 deer to stay in the program.

The requirements are that 30 deer have to be removed and the state makes no restrictions as to what sex and age those animals are. However, most managers will try to remove excess does and inferior bucks which provides further improvement to the population.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The recommendation that was given to us was based on current number plus expected fawns.

for example.. deer count was 50 but the recommended population is 40. It was suggested that we harvest 10 plus ~20 to make room for the expected ~20 fawns for that year. To say the least, it is the hardest task to get done for MLD. They give you a load of extra deer tags. in our situation, they wanted to to take 80% does. This all equals lots of shooting.

We had no problems getting the enviroment improvements - Clear cedar, clear catus, add protein feeders, plant plots, etc.. Document harvest.

It depends on your local rep, but I think they are not hard on the the harvest number. but.. may add that to the next year's harvest number.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can they take that good of a measure in such a small place. They have to be looking at all the places around him too. This county used to be a 1 buck county, recently it went to 2 bucks, a spike and a 13 inch or greater but no does. We don't have 40 to 50 bucks in the area so this has too include a lot of does.

When i said donation i meant there is some kind of cost they charged to be a member and to get the mld permit. This I assume goes to TX P and D/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We hunt in a county where you can only shoot does during archery season so we have been on an MLDP program for several years and it seems to be helping (much easier to be selective with a rifle). We are level 1 MLDP and you are only allowed does at this level. It is a pretty simple process and just takes some pre season scouting to get came counts.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
we joined the local "co-op" with the neighbors and the state....a biologist will come out or we can scout for him, give him a game count and go from there...we went from 19 doe permits 3 years ago to 7 this year, they also included 2 buck tags as well this year.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The recommendation that was given to us was based on current number plus expected fawns.

for example.. deer count was 50 but the recommended population is 40. It was suggested that we harvest 10 plus ~20 to make room for the expected ~20 fawns for that year. To say the least, it is the hardest task to get done for MLD. They give you a load of extra deer tags. in our situation, they wanted to to take 80% does. This all equals lots of shooting.

We had no problems getting the enviroment improvements - Clear cedar, clear catus, add protein feeders, plant plots, etc.. Document harvest.

It depends on your local rep, but I think they are not hard on the the harvest number. but.. may add that to the next year's harvest number.
What do you mean by not having a problem with the required improvements? Does the state help formulate the management plan, as far as what improvements are needed?

It sure would be nice if there was a forum that had all of the different programs for management listed. Such as the DU programs and the state plans. I am just getting started on putting together a management plan and I am having a hard time even figuring out where to begin!

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
I am just getting started on putting together a management plan and I am having a hard time even figuring out where to begin!
If you put your land in a WMA, Coop, WMP or MLDP program, a TPWD biologist will put the management plan together for you.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
maybe there is a fee to join the local county wildlife management group.
The one I head up doesn't charge anything. Another one that I belong to charges $10, but that includes lunch during the semi-annual meetings. Many charge about $10 to cover postage and misc. expenses.

If the land is leased from a landowner, then it reduces the cost of the Hunting Lease License that the landowner has to pay. For example on the 16,000 acres that our landowner has, it would cost $252 for a regular Lease License, but since we have in in a WMA, it only costs him $76.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts