2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been posting much about the beachfront this week because I'm still not 100% recovered from a back injury two weeks ago in Port Mansfield.
I've fished off and on this week for short periods and caught good fish, mostly on 51MR's and a few on tops.

The SSE wind came up today, and this afternoon the beachfront is choppy and sandy close in, with some small surf. Green past the third bar, fairly green with streaks in the second gut, and sandy with maybe 12" vis. in close.
It's still fishable and should continue to be as long as we're getting light SSE winds.
The forcast is for a more S & SW to the winds tonight and tomorrow which could mess up things.

Anyway I went out this afternoon between 3:00-4:00 throwing a 51MR. There were tons of mullet rafting and butterfish flipping around. Pelicans and seagulls began working past the second bar, and something big was blasting across the outside(I saw some sharks get airborn).

I was casting parallel to the beach along the outside edge of the second bar and the sandy change, and walking East casting with the wind.
Cast after cast and nothing, then at the end of a cast ( why do they always do this to me)LOL maybe ten feet out, a big trout came up and grabbed the lure.

She shook in slow motion like a big dog and made several good runs before I put the grab on her. It was a nice fish 5-6#'s, released.
I fished for maybe 20 more minutes with nothing.

BTW There was a minor feeding period aroud 3:00 and the fish hit about 3:30.
I may go back out later for a while if my back can take it.........fishing always makes it feel better. LOL

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Kenny--I always like your reports. Thanx much.
Long time ml surf chunker here--in June (even before 51's) I've often seen extreme yank/crank effective to get the lure shallow where they want it, so a hit near the end of the rod may indicate real shallow feeding? They sometimes want it like that even when a 7m or a top won't draw a hit. Just my 2 cents; the more I do this, the more I realize the only thing I can really count on is a bust and a screaming drag.
Maybe we'll be in 'em sometime.
Best to ya for a quick recovery--yup--wadefishing is therapeutic.
Jeff

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Keep Them Coming!!

Kenny,

Keep them coming one day I am going to get the "SACK" and get out there in the surf, I have honestly never fished the surf with the "PREDATORS OF THE REAL DEEP"!!!

I LOVE YOUR REPORTS......!!!!

JODE~

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The surf this evening was sandy green with maybe 18" visibility and some breakers. The wind was 10+ South. The tide was out to the moon, or because of the moon! Waaaaay out.
I chunked from 7:00-8:30 with no hits except seaweed and a small foul-hooked Cownosed Ray.
The flat & green conditions look like they're over, but I'll have to see what it's like in the morning. Now where are my meds?

driftwood2,
I had neurosurgery on my lower back 10 years ago with an excellent result. This new injury started as a muscle spasm but has localized at my old injury site. I'm trying to take it easy but it's hard not to fish.

Jode,
Come on down and I'll show you the drill in the surf. There's nothing dangerous in the surf that's not in the bay!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts