2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have some Galveston West bay guys on here.

I've spent a good amount of time in Wbay fishing but mostly out of a yak. Recently upgraded to a 22'- If I'm going West from Watermans what is the best route? I know this question has been asked and I've looked through other forums and gotten a lot of good info but just looking for any additional tips.

Come out of Cuomo passed the geotubes and shoot across to the North shorline to avoid Carancahua or is there a better route? I'm somewhat familiar with the hazards (sunken shrimp boat, shell island, Carancahua) and I know the difficulty Wbay presents so I'm sure there will be some learning the hard way. I do have Trout Support Reef Recon so hopefully that helps a bit, any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
West bay is easy overall - just have to be careful when you head east and hit the conferderate area - otherwise it is pretty wide open. Same thing on the west with San Luis Pass. If you PM me your number, I will call you and give you all the info you need - have been running it now for 10 years and still learn stuff all the time.

Funny thing is that very rarely does Carancua have any problems - I have a house in Jamaica Beach and can run all over that area - only exception is very low winter tides. It usually averages 2.5 over the reef. Now, shell island - different story..that can be a menace any time of the year.

·
Registered
397 Posts
One other thing - getting to the intercoastal via Greens Cut and also Carancua cut is a must to learn - it is not hard but there is a small channel in Carancua but otherwise get on plane and its fine. Greens stays deeper. Once you cross over greens, you can hit Greens lake, Carancua lake Jones and other spots.

·
fish control my brain
7,867 Posts
Check out Hook n Line map F127 …
It gets updated every 2 yrs

it will need an update after the work in Chocolate is finished

if your looking for the guts behind the pass there are two marked places to enter …. Look on google earth to understand what it’s tricky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gents will keep all that in mind! I’ve spent a good amount of time on google Earth and also saw Sgrem referred in multiple forums. I’ll likely have to give him a shout at some point when I have more free time to make another trip after this weekend, seems like it’s def worth it.

Thanks again!

·
Jeremiah 29:11
6,116 Posts
West Bay is pretty wide open actually. Just avoid the general area around the causeway (Confederate reef, Deer Island, etc) and San Luis Pass if you don't know what you're doing.

I can get around every where out there without incident with the expection of San Luis Pass :( Every time I try to run through there it always confuses me. Once I find the channel though, it's easy from there

Oh, and Sgrem is the guy you need to be contacting. He'll show you how to run out there with a blindfold
713-819-6232

·
Catch a New Personal Best- Learn How!
13,043 Posts
Reef Recon has the extents of Carancahua and it's shallower crest. It also has shell island reef. It has some waypoints for shallow sand bars at Bird Island basin as well. It does not have San Luis pass due to the fact that the sands shift far too often. Get a good look at Google earth of a clear water aerial to see where the sand bars are in relation to the south shoreline.. they range out from the shoreline about 200 yards. If you keep your boat in at least 3'-4' of water and 200 ' off the shoreline... and miss both Carancahua and Shell island reef you've got most of it.

The main channel at SLP is tough to see unless you have clear water and mid day with no clouds... pick a good day for that for that area or pick the right day and lay down some tracks through SLP, thru Colds pass (more shifting sand yay)... note.. stay hard left going west through colds pass. I personally like to go through Churchill bayou but watch out or the reefs on the west end of it... they are on Reef Recon as well.

get Grem to set you some tracks on your boat,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
West Bay is pretty wide open actually. Just avoid the general area around the causeway (Confederate reef, Deer Island, etc) and San Luis Pass if you don't know what you're doing.

I can get around every where out there without incident with the expection of San Luis Pass :( Every time I try to run through there it always confuses me. Once I find the channel though, it's easy from there

Oh, and Sgrem is the guy you need to be contacting. He'll show you how to run out there with a blindfold
713-819-6232

713-819-6232

713-819-6232
Reef Recon has the extents of Carancahua and it's shallower crest. It also has shell island reef. It has some waypoints for shallow sand bars at Bird Island basin as well. It does not have San Luis pass due to the fact that the sands shift far too often. Get a good look at Google earth of a clear water aerial to see where the sand bars are in relation to the south shoreline.. they range out from the shoreline about 200 yards. If you keep your boat in at least 3'-4' of water and 200 ' off the shoreline... and miss both Carancahua and Shell island reef you've got most of it.

The main channel at SLP is tough to see unless you have clear water and mid day with no clouds... pick a good day for that for that area or pick the right day and lay down some tracks through SLP, thru Colds pass (more shifting sand yay)... note.. stay hard left going west through colds pass. I personally like to go through Churchill bayou but watch out or the reefs on the west end of it... they are on Reef Recon as well.

get Grem to set you some tracks on your boat,
Perfect I was hoping that was the case but I don’t have access to my GPS to look when boats in storage.

From what I’ve read reef recon will be my best friend but just trying to increase my odds of not getting fiberglass work done. Appreciate all the info!!

·
Jeremiah 29:11
6,116 Posts
Yup. Going through Cold Pass I basically stay far left, then head straight for the end of that pier once I get lined up with it

Last time I was there, there were PVC poles with 90’s on top of them marking which side to run on. You may **** off a few wade fisherman but, they are fishing in the middle of the boat channel

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I saw a post once about some concrete square structures on the South shore. There were even good map pics in the post of them underwater. Wish I would have saved it to know the location. Maybe some of the WB experts would know where this is.

·
'81 Aggie
1,652 Posts
Sure, West Bay is wide open. Except where it's not. There are miles and miles of sand bars that stick dozens of boats each week. I know some of them around Snake Island and San Luis Pass and Chocolate and the ICW from personal experience. Cruising along fat, dumb and happy in the middle of nuthin' only to find a shallow spot- the hard way. Even worse on a low tide when the GPS trail from last week gets you stuck this week. Or when the sand shifts and gets you.

If you don't believe that, next time you're at the boat ramp check the props on the boats around you. Many of them will be razor sharp from cutting sand.

Nowadays, I know a lot of areas to avoid, but that knowledge came the old fashioned way- by experience. And some of it came from turning on GPS logging on my smartphone when I was out with friends and neighbors who followed their boats' GPS tracks to get around. When I got home, I converted those GPS logs to files (tracks) I could download into my boat's GPS.

Your best bet is to get an old hand to show you around and keep the good tracks on your GPS. Delete any bad tracks at the end of the day and mark any obstructions you come across (that takes time and discipline).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perfect I was hoping that was the case but I don’t have access to my GPS to look when boats in storage.

From what I’ve read reef recon will be my best friend but just trying to increase my odds of not getting fiberglass work done. Appreciate all the info!!
As others have said, get with Sgrem to do a navigational trip on your boat. I had him take me about a month or so ago. Let's just say it was money well spent. Accelerated my learning of West Bay exponentially.

Reef Recon is a no-brainer as well.

·
Who said that was spicy?
2,037 Posts
WB is indeed wide open in a few areas. It is also knee deep and treacherous in just as many areas. And it all looks the same to the untrained eye and the inexperienced when running at speed in the boat. The only time I've ever run aground was in my first boat and in West Bay. I was cruising along in shallow water and thought I was fine....and then 'OH S***'...I stuck it in a few inches of water on a mud/sand flat. After a little nervous chuckle and name calling, I hop out, push off, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

To the OP.....WB is fun and probably in your comfort zone, but now you have the boat and the entire bay system is awaiting with new adventures. As you know, Waterman's is a choice ramp on the south shoreline of WB. But now you can venture out and ramp at the end of the TCD and easily explore East Bay/Jetties or head to West Bay. Ramp at Eagle Point for access to Galveston Bay/Trinity Bay/East Bay, plus nearby on the water restaurants that you can drive up to in your boat.

There's some solid info above. Hiring Sgrem is definitely the fast track to learning a whole lot in a day and it will be money well spent. Reef Recon is also highly recommended. I was a kayak fisherman previously and I remember the fun and exciting transition to a boat. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WB is indeed wide open in a few areas. It is also knee deep and treacherous in just as many areas. And it all looks the same to the untrained eye and the inexperienced when running at speed in the boat. The only time I've ever run aground was in my first boat and in West Bay. I was cruising along in shallow water and thought I was fine....and then 'OH S***'...I stuck it in a few inches of water on a mud/sand flat. After a little nervous chuckle and name calling, I hop out, push off, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

To the OP.....WB is fun and probably in your comfort zone, but now you have the boat and the entire bay system is awaiting with new adventures. As you know, Waterman's is a choice ramp on the south shoreline of WB. But now you can venture out and ramp at the end of the TCD and easily explore East Bay/Jetties or head to West Bay. Ramp at Eagle Point for access to Galveston Bay/Trinity Bay/East Bay, plus nearby on the water restaurants that you can drive up to in your boat.

There's some solid info above. Hiring Sgrem is definitely the fast track to learning a whole lot in a day and it will be money well spent. Reef Recon is also highly recommended. I was a kayak fisherman previously and I remember the fun and exciting transition to a boat. PM me if you have any questions.
Really appreciate the response and info. Don't be surprised if my next post is about running East and getting to the Jettys. As other's have advised I'm trying to make sure I take it one bay at a time, but deff excited about the extra capacity to explore new areas if my wife lets me go more then once a year....

Will be down in bay harbor for a week with the family over labor day so hopefully get to try some of those drive up restaurants. Can't beat a fresh seafood dinner.

Thanks again and tight lines!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I run agound a lot--just try to make sure you hit the sandy bottom and not the oyster reefs.
Reef Recon outlines the reefs very well and makes it easy to avoid, as said above, especially around the Confederate Reef and N & S Deer Island areas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really appreciate the response and info. Don't be surprised if my next post is about running East and getting to the Jettys. As other's have advised I'm trying to make sure I take it one bay at a time, but deff excited about the extra capacity to explore new areas if my wife lets me go more then once a year....

Will be down in bay harbor for a week with the family over labor day so hopefully get to try some of those drive up restaurants. Can't beat a fresh seafood dinner.

Thanks again and tight lines!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your wife could possibly become your fishing buddy. With some patience and a few comforts your wife can come to appreciate the beauty of the bays. Make it enjoyable instead of a contest.
Your welcome
Lmfao!! My wife is my everything buddy, someone has to stay home with the 18 month old while I take out the 10 yr old- you seem bored!

For the ppl interested in the original post I was out on West Bay today and 100% Reef Recon is worth every penny. There’s a lot to learn but the added overlays of the reefs on top of the navionics adds a lot of confidence to be able to go where you want. Highly recommend

·
Catch a New Personal Best- Learn How!
13,043 Posts
I saw a post once about some concrete square structures on the South shore. There were even good map pics in the post of them underwater. Wish I would have saved it to know the location. Maybe some of the WB experts would know where this is.
Those would be the infamous concrete duck blinds (mostly) in the west bay south shoreline coves. I believe they were set by a west bay hunting club a long time ago and now they are sunken and hazardous during winter low tides.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts