2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about taking my 8 year old daughter on an adventure this weekend. I thought it would be fun to take the BIG Flat Skiff from Teakwood in Galveston to Bridge Harbor in Freeport via the Intercoastal Waterway and fish along the way. I was wondering if any of you have ever made the same trip? I did it once a long time ago in a poker run. I don't really remember much about it except eating most of the jello shots (agian, it was a long time ago). If you know how long it might take to get down there, or if you have any info at all about the ICW between Galveston and Freeport please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Easy trip. It take me 45 minutes at 32 knots from Tiki Island to Bridge Harbor. You've got spoil or land on both sides except at the entrance to Chocolate. Just keep the red markers on your right to Freeport. Might want to stop at Ernie's Too for a burger mid day.-Tom

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Kinja. I have heard of Ernie's, how would I get to it? Also, do you fish along the way to Freeport?

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
If you are talking about the Ernie's by Beach Bait ramp at the levee, it is closed.

Since you will be boat bound, you could go to Dan's restaurant and tie up. It is on the ICW about a half mile past the Surfside bridge on the left. They make a very good burger as well as having a full menu.

I have been told that Bridge Bait is now offering food. It is on the right at the base of the bridge.

If you check out a Freeport area Hot Spot map (or whatever the name is nowadays) there are several spots to stop and fish on the way. Maybe some flounder will begin to move after the front tonight.

Academy has the maps.

Sounds like a fun excursion.

Bob

·
Registered
968 Posts
Bfs...

You can fish along the way from Tiki to Bridge Harbor. Try Greens Cut or any of the cuts along the way. Then there is Chocolate Bay along the way, and there is Bastrop Bayou which cuts across the IWC, and the opening to Nicks Lake, and Swan Lake. There are many places to stop and fish. If you wish to go to Ernie's II, this is how you go. Stay on the IWC and go past Chocolate Bay. Continue on the IWC to Bastrop Bayou where it cuts across the IWC. You will turn south/left and head into Bastrop Bay. Follow the markers that will be on your left (4"PVC). You will go past Christmas Point and keep going south. You will take a left/right jog into Cold Pass. Follow the shoreline on your right, and you will come to Churchill Cut. Turn west/right and follow the bayou. The bayou will open into Christmas Bay. You will see white PVC sticking up...stay between them. If you look to the left, you will see Ernie's II. As someone else said, Get a Hot Spot map and check out my directions. I hope this helps...btw, I have made that run once or twice in my life time...VJER

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Last night I asked my daughter if she would like to go on an adventure this weekend and her response was "What kind of adventure?". As I was telling her what I had in mind, her eyes kept getting bigger and bigger. When I finshed explaining my plans for the trip, I asked her if that's something she may be interested in doing with me. Her answer was non verbal. She jumped up and down, hootin and a hollerin, hugged me and then ran off to tell her mother. I just love the way she loves to spend time with me in the great outdoors. I hope it will last a lifetime....

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Even more adventure.... go past Freeport, through the locks of the Brazos river, and the next river is the San Bernard. Not but about another 20 minutes or so from Freeport. Turn right going up the San Bernard for about 5 minutes and on the left is a blue colored restaurant, 2 J's. Also, you could just turn left once in the Brazos and go to the mouth. Pull up the right on the beach and have it all to yourself as nobody can drive on that beach between the two rivers (Brazos and San bernard).

Even more plus adventure... go past the San Bernard about another 30 minutes and get to Caney Creek Sargent.

Ultimate adventure.... go past the San Bernard about another 1 hour and get to the Colorado River. Turn left and go down river before the locks (dont go through the locks) and go down about 5 minutes and eat at the River cafe on the left.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
bridge bait right on the intercoastal has a lady out back cooking burgers and stuff. call first and see if she's still doing that. bridge bait is a good clean place right on the water. drinks and food are real handy. if you havent been to the south shoreline of christmas before from the intercoastal, now might not be the time, it can be pretty tricky if you havent done it before. bridge bait is right under the surfside bridge. you cant miss it. good luck

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
A Few of My Favorite Things

Now this sounds like fun…and incorporates most of the things I enjoy,

boating,

fishing

and eating.
with something to wash it down of course.

Have a great trip

·
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I will post some pics when we get back.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sons & Daughters

Big Fat Skiff,
I started my boy and girl offshore fishing at South Padre Island. We kept our camper at the Sea Ranch all summer. Both loved offshore fishing. They both fish out of Galveston and Freeport with me now. Daughter married 31- 3 children, son 29 ,married-2 dogs.Man if you can teach a kid to fish they will do it always[ and with you too]. Good luck.
Terry

PS. Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts