2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like most of what I've read about the island dealt with the seawall, the strand or the far west end. Those areas all got hammered , no doubt.

I went down tho the island to work on my parents mess this afternoon and was fully staggered by what I saw. I proceeded past 61st today and turned right on 57th to get to ave S without dealing with traffic . This side journey took me through a resedential area that most non Galvestonians never see. I then proceeded to 69th into my folks neighborhood on ave S

My point is this. I may have driven by 750 - 1000 homes today. Every one of them had been flooded and had a mountain of debris in front of them. Every one of them. WOW. There may be as many as 5000 (maybe more) family homes in Galveston that are unlivable and will be for some time. The devastation , although not as spectacular as west end dwellings appear, is equally as complete.

It looks like a third world country and is surreal. The residents of most of these homes are hard working decent people that really cant afford a set back like this. I was proud to see that most everybody down there was heroically trying to put their soggy life back together. I saw smiles and looks of determination on the faces of everyone I saw today. I have never been as proud of the island or of being a BOI as I am now.

Say a little prayer for the interior Galvestonians tonight. They have a long road to travel to get back "home"

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
I was down in the middle of Gtown as well from 48th to bayou shore on east side of 61st, and you are right by my guestimations the houses of a few family member had 7-8' water come up from the curb. There houses are on blocks so they are about 4' higher than the curb and still got 2' of water in them. Carpets, hardwoods, fridges, clothes, furniture....all ruined. Many prayers I am sure are being said tonight and this past week.

What worries me is those homeowners that either returned and did not like what they saw so abandoned or those who aren't coming back. Those homes for sure have mold, structural damage, nasty fridges/freezers...will the City of Galveston start now on the process of cleansing or contacting owners to clean? If let untouched for months, serious health issues lay ahead, possible imminent domain cases.

On a postive note, many many volunteer organizations from all across the US are in Gtown helping cleanup, providing bobcats and cleanup trucks, and our national guard has things running pretty smooth from what I could see.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
We have a friend who lives in the middle of the isalnd around 50th street who now lives with us in taxas city until we can get her rebuilt. We went down early wednesday morningto get the first look at her place. luckily only had about ten inches of water but still enought ot destroy all the appliances and most of the furniture and many belongings.

her brother and sisterinlaw flew in tuesday to help and we drove down about 530 wednesday morning not knowing how long it would trake.

it was surreal driving in through the predawn light and seeing boats along the highway. i was driving everytime webve been down there so really havent been able to take it all in, but the glimpses i was able to get between avoiding road hazards are unreal. When we passed all those boats from payco on the highway and could just see falateness where two weeks earlier my boat hung in a sling was unreal,(got the boat out before the storm) i lived more than half my life in galveston and even though i now reside in tewxas city, galveston is home.

we spent three days cleaning out her house and i was impressed by the great things i saw on the island. DPS officers from west texas patrolling the neighborhoods and offering water and MREs, many groups and companies passing out supplies, all with a smile on their face.

we saw an electric dcrew from georgia and aske about a tree being down on the line to the house, well within an hour we ahad a crew of treetrimmers from ohioin the back yard trimming the tree off the line. I cant steress enough how friendly all these power guys were who I know have been worked to the point of exhaustion, but realized trhe residents were worse off than them and just wanted to help!

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
the past 3 days i have spent my time helping my sis clean out her place on postoffice. over 7 ft of water in the building! all that area from strand,market, and postoffice streets are devestated. imo galveston will lose over 25% of its population and its quaintness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts