2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Galveston surf on Sat. morning at 8 1/2 mile road with good buddy, Jig. Had to place a 911 call to Galveston PD as there was an unconcious driver at the traffic light on 61st street and I-45. Motor running, out cold. At least she passed out w/ her foot on the brake. After the paramedics showed up, made it to the surf.

Fished live shrimp under a popping cork. The seaweed was so thick, I think it would have been impossible to fish a lure. Wound up w/ 5 keepers from 15 to 20". Jig wound up w/ 1/2 a keeper. Fishing maybe 10 feet from me, I hear the call that every surf fisherman loves - - SHARK. A 3 foot blacktip was on Jig's stringer going for his trout. After slapping him w/ his rod, the shark took off, slammed into Jig's chest, and took his half a trout with him. That'll wake you up! Actually landed 4 or 5 smaller sharks fishing w/ the shrimp, so they are in the surf thick.

Also saw an impressive display by a manta ray about a hundred yards offshore. He must have had a 6-foot wingspan and rocketed out of the water 3 times landing like a pancake. Kinda cool.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
I made it down Saturday to 16 Mile Road with a buddy and I can tell you the sharks were very thick. We were in the water before the sunrise throwing artificials and had 2 people to our left and 1 to our right using shrimp and they couldn't keep the sharks off their hooks! Around 6:20 am we saw one come completely out of the water, busting mullet about 50 yards in front of us! It was around 4-5 feet in length. The pucker factor was rising steadily. Shortly after that we saw a ray do the same thing. My buddy caught a cow nose ray on a silver spoon around 6:50 am and we decided to call it a day. Water was flat but brown. I should have brought the surf rods!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts