2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
did you see the size of that chicken?
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from4 days in galveston on fire dept. releif mission. don't know if this helps but here goes. i am from n. texas and didn't have to much time to familiarize myself with layout so please don't freak or get too happy. the north end around the harbor and hospital is not in good shape. big surge and none of the boats i could see in the harbor look good except for a couple of shrimpers. i guess everyone knows the big dry stack burned down. central station took a couple of feet in the first floor.thats at broadway and 43rd about. stat 2 where i was at remained dry. thats around sixth and church. stations 4 and 5 are gone or nearly so they had those engines running out of central. the airport area does not look good, very high water 6 or 7 feet. stat 7 at buccaneer(12 mile rd) had some water and sta 8 at san jacintohad about 2 ft. there is some major structural damage scattered but most structures appear to still be intact with wind and varying degrees of water damage. along the beach only one house was completely off its stilts(hope its not yours) but several had the sand washed from under the pad. power will be a while coming as it is a holy mess.water is very iffy as well.if you have ac and running water where your at, the island is not a good place to be now. the electric guys are running around like ants and so is everyone else. they will get you back as soon as possible but please don't rush it if you don't have to.i saw no tigers or alligators or floating rafts of deceased people. for every rumor i heard i could find someone else just coming from said place who could refute it. we encountered one water moccasin and several cows roaming across 3005. my heart goes out to you who call the island home and are stuck away right now but i promise you have it better than the multitudes who stayed due to ignorance or lack of funds( and i think this is primarily the case) and are now surviving on national guard bottled water, mre's, and relieving themselves in a bucket.thats all i know, out.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Delrod, thanks for everything you have done and continue to do. I, for one, know that you have a very tough job. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Thanks Delrod.

I was on the island for about 3 hours this past Monday. Basically from 69th east to 21st.

The wind damage is right on par with Alicia for those of you old enough to remember that little jewel. The water damge is exponentially greater. Most everything built slab on grade probably had water in it ( at least west of 61st anyway ) Gulf village houses had 3-6 feet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts