2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to expand my fishing area but I only have a 16ft deep and wide flat bottom....is that too small of a boat to fish in Galveston. I dont know really know any of the area over there but I planned on buying a map or two and doing some homework but I didnt want to do that if my boat cant handle the water.....any info is appreciated.

·
Mid-Life Crisis in the Works
1,306 Posts
A map is a great idea. Where in Galveston are you thinking about trying?

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont really have any particular place that I want to launch out of..yet at least. I havent really looked into anything real hard yet because i didnt know how my boat would handle it.

gcg...so your basically saying its not gonna work.....I didnt really plan on fishing the spoils because I have been told it gets rough out there but I didnt know how other places would be....like flats, reefs, more secluded areas than just the open water. Like I said though i dont really know anything about the area, just want to find out if my boat would work before i invest my time in learning it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
put in at the Texas City dike and stay on that protected shoreline, it's about the only decent water we got now anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey dwhite i have a 16.5' blue wave and yes the fishing is limited out deep, but its great for the bays. i have been fishing galveston west bay (carancahua reef area), the dike area up to dollar point, and even took it out past the ship channel from eagle point. It was terribly rough and i would probably not do it again. other then that its great if you wanna stay inclose or in the bays

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
South Shorelines of East and West bay and you'll be fine. There is a lot of fishing to be had in that boat. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. You've already shown that you have the proper mentality so you should be okay.

·
Yep...
752 Posts
East bay marsh/near shore areas, Skyline levee shoreline by dike, dickinson bay, west bay(stay away from San Luis pass), Christmas & Drum bays.....Make your boat size work for you.

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what I was pretty much looking at....I have been to carancahua reef with friends before and isnt there a dollar flat or something like that?? I didnt plan on hitting deep water.

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already fish christmas/drum/bastrop and west bay around the pass area(not close to bridge though!!), grew up fishing that area. Thought Galveston would offer a nice change of pace!

·
Registered
155 Posts
dwhite, i never said it was not going to work. i used to have a boat similar to what you have now. So my advice is just to watch the weather and use common sense. Moses lake might be a good area for your type of boat. that's where i used to go and did pretty well on reds.

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just figured if its bad with a 5 mph wind then i wouldnt be able to do it...Also I have heard of huge swells coming off of the ships.....is that only closer to the ship channel/spoil area or does that apply to the skinny water bay as well?
Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you want there is is small boat ramp right before you get to Roll Over Pass. It will open up a lot of places you can fish. I use my kayak there so you shouldn't have any trouble. One word of warning. Pay close attention to the tow boats going down the ICW. They can wreck you while your lanching your boat. Same holds true about the boat launch at the end of the Texas City dike(ships).

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I have fished all over Galveston Bay System in a flatbottom boat like you are talking about. Over the last 25 years. When I was younger that is all I had. Fished Moses, Offats, Christmas and area, TCD, Trinity, East, West, and any where else it would take me. Just watch the weather and be careful. I even took it out to the Jetties and the Rigs 8 miles or so offshore on the right days. You talk about fun, Hang a Big King Mackeral or a 5ft. Black Tip in a boat like that and you don't need a motor. I run a 21ft. center console now and take it 40miles out on the right days. Had to tie it off to a rig and bail once or twice until the weather past on some overnight trips, but what an adventure. Get a map, Be Careful, Have fun and Good Luck. Start small. Its More about Knowledge, Confidence and what you are Comfortable with than anything else. Respect the Sea, but do not fear it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts