2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice trip, but not much catching. Went 50+ miles out. Seas were 2-4 and choppy. Snapper were real slow. Lots of triggers stealing bait. The boat caught 4 big sows, up to about 15 pounds. Nice ones, but not many limits. More kingfish than I've ever seen on a party boat. There were probably 9 or 10 kings landed, with one going about 30 pounds. Lots of big lemon sharks. Anybody know why they won't let you keep lemons? There aren't any laws against it. One guy even had a big blacktip and the deckhand let it go, but they kept some smaller sharks.

Our group is pretty much done with party boats. Not worth the $$. I think we'll be spending more $$ to get a full ice chest of quality fish with a private charter. It was fun to be out, but disappointing with the catch.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Same thing a few week ago...

I went through this a few weeks back and vowed not to do party boats again. I have had some people on the board contact me about fishing with them. There are some great people on this board, good luck with the fishing.

RockFish
Eddie

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is a limit of one large shark per boat on party boat trips. There is a list of sharks that qulify as large, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I do know that blacktips are included and altlantic sharpnoses are not, so if one person had already kept a blacktip, no one else can keep a large shark.

Mark

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,232 Posts
texsun

they were probably talkin about the texsun 2 on sat. they had 56 snaps only but from 8-21 lbs, + a few kings but also it was a private charter, i bet there was a tip involved ?

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
That's how it all starts, Party boats, Private charters, and then the next thing you know, your at the boat show buying your own. We all do this. Private Charters are buy far the best value. You and five of your best friends pay a small amount of $$$ in return for table fare and a trip that you'll remember. They provide everything you need and most will clean and bag your catch. But be careful and chose your PC wisely, like anyother business check references and ask questions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In defense of party boats, I have fished out of Galveston since the days of the Old Buccaneer and I have had both good and bad trips. BOB (before offshore boat) this was my only means to get my Son out to blue water. The cost and logistics of getting a six man party to book a private charter were near impossible. My Son did catch a 20lb. sow one trip, and we often caught limits or near limits of decent snaps. On one occasion on the New Buccaneer a few years back, we saw the largest concentration of Kings that I or anyone else, captain or crew included had ever witnessed. These fish were free jumping, crashing throwback snaps. The boat caught a maximum catch of around 135 kings. The captain said Federal law only allowed the boat to retain this many although the per person limit would have been more. Me and my Son were on the back of the boat, and as we had caught our limits quickly, we asked the deckhands to start bringing back any youngsters on the boat. We baited up our rods freelined them out and handed them over to the young un's. There were some happy kids proud parents and some offshore fisherman made that day. If you fish enough party boats you will see which are good at putting fish in the boat, and which are good at putting tourist $ in the bank. Galveston party boats and the Texsun II are both pretty good operations. Just don't get your exepectations above what you are doing, which is rock hopping with 50-80 other fisherman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts