2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed out to the Indianola marina to grab a burger & beer and to soak some live mullet just to get some salty air in my lungs. The one observation I made was everyone was catching large galftop. I would guess they were all in the 18'' to 24'' range. I don't remember ever seeing this many large sized ones together and was wondering if this was a normal occurrence or a side effect of the freeze. Also what are their predator's?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,261 Posts
Gaftop are the cleanest best eating catfish on the planet. I prefer them over trout. And they clean faster and easier that trout as well. Normal for this time of year.

We catch some giants offshore in 35ft of water.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They are dee-lish-us if you like catfish. I have no idea for the disdain that saltwater catfish get as a game fish, I understand when I'm out on my precious few trips that I'm hoping for specks, reds, sheepheads, smacks, and black drum but I won't throw back a legal gaftop. Hardheads are actually decent too believe it or not. Also, how do people expect to keep the population in check if anglers don't take out some like they do other game fish.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
(n) No slimers on my boat or in my net. They make too much of a nasty mess to even consider putting them onboard. Y’all catch my share for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts