2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meeting Notice Contact: Steven Atran

September 30, 2008 813-348-1630

Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council to convene its Ad Hoc Recreational Red Snapper Advisory Panel

Tampa, Florida - The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council will convene its Ad Hoc Recreational Red Snapper Advisory Panel (AP) Monday, October 20, 2008 and Tuesday, October 21, 2008.

At the Council's request, the AP will provide further review of four of its original 27 recommendations to the Council. Those recommendations include:

Regional management of recreational red snapper fishing;

Recreational reef fish permitting system with red snapper endorsement;

Limited access privilege programs in the for-hire and private recreational sectors; and

Catch cards and fish tag systems.

The AP will discuss issues and possible alternatives for each of these ideas and provide recommendations to the Council for possible further development.

The meeting will be at the LaQuinta Inn, 2610 Williams Boulevard, Kenner, LA and is scheduled to begin at 9:00 am Monday, concluding no later than 3:00 pm Tuesday.

Copies of the agenda other related materials can be obtained by calling 813-348-1630.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Willy, I will be there unless something drastic happens. I won't go into my feelings about my counterparts except to say that some of them have less than pure motives. I always try to stand up for the fish, and figure that will help the fishermen. Not everyone agrees with me. There's some very serious problems with the makeup of the AP when you consider historical catch data vs. who is sitting on it. The recreational side is severly under represented. I have gone into battles before knowing full well it was a lost cause. I only have one vote, and plan to use it, regardless of the futility involved.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
mont, how do we, the average recreational angler get involved in this? is there anything we can do? i know its a tough fight but come hell or highwater we've got to start doing something or its all going to be over before my kids will be able to fish.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Its only over if all people do is say it is over or "wish it was someway else" contact your congressman. Speak up and be heard. The big problem is the commerical guys hire someone to speak up with the lobbiest and money and we "unoriginized fisherman" are not heard from.

I just wish I could start an orginization called something like recreational fisherman of America and go after these punks. We have got to get better orginized as rec fisherman or it will be over. With farm raised fish and farm shrimp we need to put the commerical boat guys out of business.

As a 2 cool web site I am wondering if we could form a recreational alliance and as a nation of fisherman if we put our money together we could rule in the fishing area. Its only because we have set back and really done nothing that we are where we are. Some of these so called gulf coast groups as such have really done nothing for our recreational fishing. Man I feel like a preacher and it gets me going. If we can have a NRA why can,t we have a NFA.

You know I have friends in congress and such and I think I will just start a non profit National fishing Association. This is not just about Texas or along our coast, Calafornia is in big trouble and has lost much of its fishing grounds. Even Maine is having trouble and so is Florida, so we must form something stronger and larger than just a local orginization.

With God as my witness and on my side and recreational anglers working together we can do something as a whole. I am going to start right now forming a not for profit nation wide save our recreational anglers compain!

Do I have any start up members?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts