2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI - the entire corporation is going out of business and the deals are outstanding all locations. Today, I purchased a Raymond Weil watch at 50% off and my Dad got an Omega at 40% off.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Hatae to burst your bubble..

...but jewelry and watches are marked up around 200%-400%. You can dicker at ANY jewelry store and typically get 50% off there best "sale" price. Make them an offer on a piece and see what happens!

This works for just about ANY store, from Mom & Pop shops to chains. I have personally done this at BB&B, Zales, Diamond Shoppe, Kay, Jared, Gumps, every store you are likely to run across in a mall, etc. etc. etc....... It works for loose stones and finished pieces, earrings, necklaces, rings, broaches, etc. Also non-jewelry pieces such as gold, silver, and platinum. The only thing on non-jeweled pieces is that you won't get them to go below the "raw" metal price - but it can be pretty close.

If they are "hot" pieces (like Rolex watches or tennis bracelets a few years back), they may be less inclined to discount because they know they will get some poor sucker to pay their marked up price. However, the rest of the pieces are all about "turnover". They want - really NEED - to turn over pieces, even if it is at cost. It's the nature of the business.

I did some work for Zales years and years ago and I learned this from their buyers. Back then I was married, and would buy a lot of jewelry (only thing that made her happy - should have known). I would find the piece I want to to get and offer 40% of the listed price to start (60%). About half the time they would go for my initial offer, and I don't think I bought ANY piece at less than 30% off (the "sale" price).

Best deal I ever got was on a "unusual" piece (a 1ct. "fantasy" cut stone - tanzanite), my ex only wanted trillion cut on everything - was her "signature" cut. (Probably has the finest collection of trillion cut stones in the U.S.). Anyway, not many people were into the "fantasy" cuts and I got it 90% off - was listed at $1000 and I got it for $100.

So if any of you are planning to buy a something for your wife, girlfriend, or both - remember what I am telling you. Shoot them an outrageously low price - the worst they will say is "no" - but they probably will make you a deal better than you ever thought possible. You can thank me later! :cheers:

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those percentages I offered were after some negotiating. They were only originally offering 15%-25% discounts. Buying the two watches together helped out, too.

There is a trillion cut?

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Yup

Trillion is a triangle cut stone. Used to be pretty unique and only typically used for accent stones (at least when my ex started). But now trillions are available as "main" gemstones - diamonds, ruby/emeralds, etc. as well as semi-precious.

My ex has probably over 100 pieces that have trillion cut main stones, from tiny .5 carets to large 4/5 caret. Amethysts, diamonds, rubies, garnets, tanzanite - you pick the color, she has the piece. Real quick

Those watches, being high-turnover items, are probably less prone to discounts come to think of it - but for other jewelry pieces - lowball 'em to the max.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,021 Posts
John

Thanks for the advice even though I'm not looking into putting a ring on a girls finger nor jewelry for that matter any time soon but good advice to have.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My wife likes BBB, as they supported her breast cancer group. Too bad they were going under.

I was looking for Breitling last year, but gave up when no one would deal like I thought they should. I don't know if Banks/Biddle carries them, but I'll see.

My wife likes the jewerly at BBB, so I guess I'll their Woodlands store for anything she might like.

Thanks, John, for the heads-up on the dickering and mark-ups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts