2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of yall take the middle hook off of yalls super spooks. I've been having a problem with the back two hooks hanging up on each other and figured I might take that middle hook out. Might free up the action too. Have any of yall done this? Did it lower your hook up ratio noticeably?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take out the middle hook. It is not necessary. It will not affect your hookup ratio. You are correct it does help the action of the spook without that hook. Ask the best. Ask McBride and Rowsey they will tell you the exact same thing I am. I have dozens of spooks and they all have just two hooks. You ever need to replace the factory hooks on those I like to use the VM Cone Cuts #1 size. Best of luck.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Ask the best. Ask McBride and Rowsey they will tell you the exact same thing I am.
Those two guys have alot of Big Trout feathers in their hats.

They will also encourage you to use single hooks on Corkys.

There are also many other elite Trout guys that will tell you you are fricken stupid if you change or, remove your hooks.

That being said....I ADD hooks to my Big Spooks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Super Spooks just need two hooks

I don't think the middle hook is necessary. Also, I take all of the hooks off and replace them with #1 VMC hooks where the original front and back hooks go. I had a slightly oversized redfish bend the original factory hook several years ago and I'll never use the original hooks again. The new "single-knocker" topwater baits that just came-out only have two hooks and they are very close in size to the original Super Spooks.
Hookman

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
And while you are at it, you might consider painting \ some larger eyes ..

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
I change it 1 change smaller. The walkie-talkie by Bomber is the same size, works the same and comes with only two hooks.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
In my experience the middle hook seems to create more trouble than it is worth. Many times a good fish will roll back on your leader and will foul the middle hook which sets up two scenarios that are both bad...leader can be cut when it lodges under barb ...or...with reduced ability to control the fish's head it will dislodge the hook(s) that are more securely engaged. It amounts to little more than an additional grass rake in my opinion. I think McBride referred to it as the, "desparately not needed middle treble." LOL! Two #1 VMC Round Bend Cone Cut trebles is what I use unless fighting grass and then it will be two single hooks. Both systems work very well for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts