2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to inquire if any of you blue water guys know how a full moon impacts the snapper bite? Is it good, bad or does it even make a difference?

I know that certain fish don't bite at night, trigger fish being one of them. I also know that Snapper do bite at night so I really wanted to know how a full moon would effect the bite. A full moon really effects other outdoor sports, deer hunting being the first that comes to mind. I hope that a full moon doesn't mean bad snapper fishing.

Any info would be appreciated.

Tight Lines!!!!!!!!!

Lumberjack93

·
Registered
187 Posts
LJ,
From what I have seen, a full moon is great for Snapper fishing! Most recent night trip (beginning of July) we filled the box with Grey Snapper in about 2 1/2 hours. Biggest difference I noticed were that all of the Snapper were caught on or near the surface. We used no weight at all, just a line with hook. It was great!
Just make sure you are extra safe out there. As I am sure you can imagine, Mother Blue is not especially forgiving at night.

Junior

Semper Fi
:flag:

Aggressiveness was a fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before you started shooting.
â€" Captain David McCampbell, USN, leading U.S. Navy ace in W.W.II

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
moon

Good question and I suspect you will not get a consistent answer. It is interesting to pose the question regarding snapper fishing because you know from your sounder if they are there or not as opposed to trolling. If you are trolling and the fish are not biting you generally do not know if is it because they are not feeding or they are just not in the same area that you are fishing.

Anyway, I bet the commercial fishermen have snapper figured out and it would be interesting to see their point of view. As recreational fishermen, whether we admit it or not, most of us do not spend enough time on the water to answer these type of questions and most of our opinions are the result of dock-talk and VHF chatter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts