2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Mando...

I've always believed the 3 days before or after a full or new moon theory....of course other factors come into play too...Barometric pressure(storms/fronts),current,thermocline,etc.---What do the rest of ya'll look at as pluses or negatives?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am probably going to get some heat from this one but....I have been guiding for several years..and fishing for cats a lot longer...I have not noticed a difference in the bite according to the moon phase. I have noticed that there seems to be certain times of the day that the blues bite better. Now this does not include flatheads, they might be different..

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
T-cats...

Hey dude...no heat here,that's why i come to the board, to learn from others what they think!!:mpd:
I HAVE noticed that the bite picks up @ certain hrs. of the night,also.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Trophycats said:
I am probably going to get some heat from this one but....I have been guiding for several years..and fishing for cats a lot longer...I have not noticed a difference in the bite according to the moon phase. I have noticed that there seems to be certain times of the day that the blues bite better. Now this does not include flatheads, they might be different..
It's hard for me to give "heat" to someone for posting observations based on many years of fishing experience LOL... but I'll give it a try... just kidding. In tidal water, the fishing seems to be better when the water is moving. It doesn't appear to be too "phase" specific as far as the moon is concerned, but it does vary based on how close the moon is to the earth. The closer the moon is, the greater the fluctuation in the tides... higher AND lower, so there is a greater difference, more water gets churned up and the fishing in general is better during those periods. Having said that, I like fishing the tide when it's coming in... the rising water always makes ME more confident and I am more successful when I fish with confidence. I don't know if it affects the fish (incoming tide, not their confidence level) to as great a degree. In fresh water, non-tidal situations or in lakes, I can't say... I'm still green in those conditions... well, I am in tidal waters too, but I have a little more experience there than in lakes and such.

The bottom line for me, Warren, is that if you told me you caught more fish when you fish with white fishing rods then you do when you use black ones, I'd believe you....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well Mudhole..i will give you one more word of advice..you dang sure can't catch a cat while sitting in the living room <grin> full moon or not, the more TOW (time on water) you spend the better your chances are. And Nighttrain..you are right too..the bite seems to pick up from 2am till 4am..then from 6am till 8am..then from 2pm till 4pm..then from 6pm till 8pm..give or take a little depending on other factors. But then again..there is no telling when Mr Big will take a bait..White Poles Vs Black Poles..hmmm <grin>

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
I used to have a T-shirt(wore it out)that I got in a marina at Rock's Pond(Santee-Cooper)that said,"YCCFSOYATAT"....Got asked all the time what that meant.........."You can't catch fish sittin' on your ***** talkin' about them"!:mpd:

·
Registered
550 Posts
All I know is that I catch more fish when I am on the water that sitting on the couch. LOL But I personally like a full moon, cause I can see better without having to worry about a light. It ain't gonna matter this weekend, cause I figure we gonna have clouds all weekend. But I still gonna fish!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll tell you from my experience when the fish usually start biting...late at night when fatigue is setting in and I'm fidgiting about with my reel and have an out-of-this-world backlash....I'll get a hit. When I've used all but 2 or 3 of my shad because they keep dying on my hook...I'll start to get hits. When I used to drive my little Toyota Corolla down to Lake Barkley to fish, the channels would turn on in the canal and then I'd make the 3 hour drive back home with a trunk full of cats and then the sweet smell of victory wouldn't come out of the car for a month.

On a more serious note, I have never noticed a difference in the fishing from a new moon to a full moon. As long as you're on the water you're going to have a better chance at landing a fish than trying to decide on which day to fish. I go out whenever I have the time in any weather except when there's lightning around (I don't have a boat and 12 foot surf rods double as great lightning rods in the right conditions.) Get out there and let us know how it goes man.

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys

thanks for the responce guys. i know a certain spot in my saltwater holes (a spillway) that a full moon night u will tear up the reds no matter what but when day comes u wont have a bite. i just might have to pull an allnighter on the water to see what i come up with.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would love to try it Friday night, but if I do, I know I won't be able to go with Pops Sat. Decisions Decisions Decisions. WAIT, why not go both? Surely I can function on three hours sleep? We do need a chat room. Nite nite everybody.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I believe it is a full moon, but i didn't see it all last night due to the cloud cover. but, I had more big fish break me off last night than I ever have. They were bitin, but I wasn't prepared for such biguns. I had one that completely spooled a Quantum 1430 free of line all the way down to the arbor knot.

But the full moon showed it/s bad side today, when my water pump went at about 30 mph full blast down the river. Guess what the next sound I heard? if you said "clug clug clang" you would be correct. guess my catin is over for a few weeks. :(

·
Registered
728 Posts
I hate it when that happens :-(

I have never been spooled by a fish. It must be exciting, frustrating and intense as heck watching that spool getting emptied, and not being able to do anything about it... I've heard stories of Amberjack, Cobia, Big Red Drum ("Reds" as they call 'em in Texas), Black Drum and a few other "big game" fish... I bet those "trophy" fishermen would wet themselves if a CATFISH spooled 'em LOL....

I'm very sorry to hear about the motor. Keep your fingers crossed it's just shut down from overheating and there's no significant damage...

TT

·
Registered
550 Posts
It probably wouldn't have happened, except for the fact that I was in my brothers boat (a 16 ft Polar Craft jon), drifting down the bank float fishing, and standing in the bow. Knowing better, I had too much stuff in the boat, and couldn't get to the motor fast enough. You can imagine trying to climb to the back of the boat, holding the rod from getting pulled in the river, and then trying to crank and shift and turn with one hand. If it wouldn't have been so dis-heartening, it would have been funny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts