2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel Line or Carberators:

Please help me so I can get back on the water quickly.

96 Evinrude ran great for Friday afternoon and most of Saturday till I stopped to fish a lake and then move on. The boat started up ran rough and died. Tried again and same thing. I checked my tank mounted on the deck and I have maybe 10-15 gallons left out of a 40 gallon tank, so I have fuel. Then I pulled the cowling off and plugs are tight and fuel line looks okay coming into motor. (No quick disconnect). I prime the bulb again (never have to do this once motor has been running) and the motor runs fine for a short while then it dies. I proceed to get motor running up the creek and it sounds real rough (like it is missing or something) (lots of vibration). I prime the bulb while in the creek headed to the intercoastal and we go well and then we bog down and die while trying to get on plane. Once I get the boat going again a short ways and the boat goes good then bogs down for a few seconds and then powers back up great, then bogs down and then continues the cycle till I shut it down. I checked the fuel/ water separator and it looks fine (no water). So my suspicions of water in my fuel dwindle out. I start the boat and run back to the boat ramp all the while by priming the bulb and running boat till it sounds like it is staving of fuel and pump and keep going for about ten miles.

At the dock I check for air getting in the system at all fittings and I cannot find any air leaks but the fuel lines are 97 model year. Here is what I am going to do unless somebody tells me differently. I will plan on changing out the fuel lines today or tomorrow and running a bypass from the motor to the fuel tank (before I remove lines) and check to see if I might have a leak in the line from the tank to the motor. If so I will have fixed it once I route the new lines in the hull and back to the motor, but I read it could be carburetors as well. I guess the carburetors can just gum up after running for a while like this but usually I would think in a new tank of gas and usually pretty quick in the day but then again what do I know. The boat has been getting used more than usual and I have run almost two good tanks through the motor in the last few weeks and the gas in this tank was filled last weekend so I know it is fresh gas and like I said the motor ran good for at least 25 to 30 gallons of gas on this tank. I think the last tank might not have had any ethanol in it since I bought ten gallons in Sargent and the other ten gallons came from Buccees' in Brazoria. I stopped and bought it in gas cans to save a few bucks (lol). I guess the non ethanol fuel could have loosened something in my tank as the gas level dropped. I have run the tank lower than what is in it now so I know the fuel line (sender) in the tank should be fine. I have run the tank to just leaving five gallons this January while duck hunting.

Carburetors or fuel line getting air????

Want to get back on the water while my travel trailer is parked on the coast for the next month!

Thanks

Jimmy

Sorry for long post trying to be as descriptive as possible so I can get on water this weekend!

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's your fuel pump. If it's an older pump the diaphram won't hold up to the new gas with ethanol. You could have something floating around in the carb bowls but, I doubt it if you have a good filter. If it took off and ran great pumping the bulb it's fuel related. I'm not sure if that year model has hose clamps on the fuel lines or the cheap zip ties. I put hose clams on my 130 Johnson trying to see if I had fuel leaks. I ran around chasing all sorts of stuff and decided to take it to Acies. He dumped it in the pond, rev'd her up and the fuel pressure dropped off about 2k rpm. New pump for use with E10 and I was good to go.
--Hop

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changing it out

Without looking in my book how easy or hard is it to change out a fuel pump? I want to get it doen but not charge an arm and a leg but man I have the projects just strung out now and want to get some of them off the plate if you know what I mean? If I take it in how much ball park to get repaired?

Thanks for the replies 2cool fishing partners!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel pump VRO

Okay thanks everyone. Now one other thing I guess this gets thrown in is that I disconnected the vro and tossed out the tank about a year and half ago and went to premix. Maybe this caused my issue at hand and maybe not or I may have saved my engine from burning up. I will look into my Evinrude book and see what I am up against. Hopefully an easy repair to perform.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had that same problem on a 1981 115 johnson. Found a cracked plastic fuel line T fitting. The one that splits the fuel supply from the fuel pump and sends it to both carbs.

I could not tell it was cracked it just broke in my hand when i was trying to pull fuel lines off of it.
Replaced it with a brass fitting and its been good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts