2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i JUST HEARD ON KTRH
on Beamer and Hughes on the South side of houston, they have a marine battery powered generator that lasts 10-12 hours on a marine battery and recharges in 20 minutes via a jumper cable boost from your car.

they are safe to run in your home since there are no fumes.
They have about 2000 for 499 each and they work with fema, you can get re-imbursed if your affected by no power. it can run your fridge and other items.

· Registered
309 Posts
I don't understand. It's a "generator" that produces no fumes that can power your refrigerator and "other items" for ten to twelve hours, being "recharged" with a 20 minute "boost" from jumper cables?

It sounds like an inverter to me. And I don't know of a marine battery that can be recharged in 20 minutes.

When you get the thing, please post the make and model. If they are what you say, I want a couple of them.

Thanks

· Registered
39 Posts
I heard the same ad and they are inverters. Shooter - if a fridge sraws 10 amps, you are correct that it takes 1200 watts to run, but to get that compressor motor to start will take approximately 6 times the running amps, or 7200 watts. FLA (Full load amps) is what it takes to run, but LRA (locked rotor amps) is what it takes to start a motor (i.e. compressor). LRA is listed on the nameplate of your fridge or any motor.Most inverters do not have any surge capacity.

A 1000 watt inverter will only put out 1000 watts max. If you do the math, a 1200 watt inverter will put out 10 amps at 120 volts but it will take about 110 amps at 12 volts to supply that. 100 amps at 12 volts to supply 10 amps at 120, and 10 amps at 12 volts to run the electronics. A marine battery rated at 900 Amp hours will last about 2 maybe 3 hours since the inverter is going to shut down when the battery voltage reaches about 10 volts.

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got 1 and a marine battery, my boat ones dead. I came to pasasdena to visit but will be heading back to conroe. It's a 1500 inverter with 3000 wat surge.

Name: Power Pal
Company Name: APSI Alternate Power Systems, inc

· Done Wit Dat
7,492 Posts
Yep, I thought this sounded too good to be true. Inverters are convenient and wonderful for running things like fans and lights, but anything that sucks up a lot of power will kill your battery fast. Batteries also take a while to recharge and it's best to do so slowly or they won't have a very long life. I'm no expert, and I'm not an electrician. I'm a history teacher who isn't good at math. But I've been running 12 volt systems for about 20 years on and off at fishing camps. I've even run an A/C off of a bank of 6 batteries and a 3,000 watt inverter. Even with 6 batteries, it only lasted about 5 hours. It would still run after that, but the batteries didn't have the power to kick the compressor back on and the breaker would trip. I never tried to run a refrigerator or freezer off of batteries.

If you want to gain efficiency from your generator, it makes a lot of sense to run a 12 volt auxiliary system. You charge the batteries from the gen while it's running and powering other things.

· Registered
367 Posts
I did the inverter thing for Ike. I had a 8d industrial battery and a 2000/4000 watt inverter. It is great for lighting especially to run those low watt cfl bulbs but dont ask it to run any kind of wound motor for a long time with no ability to recharge. I still believe in the technology but you better like to do math and look at every watt you are using.

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I plugged in my mothers fridge to the inverter and it turned on and the fridge worked normal. This is the only reason I bought it. ++++ the company is registered with FEMA and have a registration #. I will be getting reinbursed from FEMA. They pre-filled out the form.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.