2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Texas City this morning to work with my to latest toys. The Ruger Mark II and the Ruger 10/22 and confirmed my worst fears.

No, no, the guns are great. I did tweak the elevation a little on the Mark II but the guns are all they should be. The problem is my eyes. I've been getting by with the Glocks in the range up to 50' but now that I'm trying to reach out to 100 yards I'm finding that my vision needs a lot of "tweaking"

The problem is my close-up vision. Those target sights on the Rugers are awfully hard for me to focus on. If I put on the old reading glasses then the sights are sharp in my vision but the targets 50 to 100 yards down range are completely fuzzed out.

I'm going to call for an appointment to get my eyes checked a little later today but I doubt if I'll be able to get the help I need. Because of my astigmatism I'm not a candidate for the surgery.

I'm still adequate with the Glocks inside 50' but I know I could do a lot better if I could get this problem taken care of. I was hoping that I would not have to scope either of the Rugers but it might come to that if the eye doctors can't fix me up with some glasses or contact lenses for the range.

Y'all keep yer fingers crossed for me on this one if you would. I have a feeling I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,542 Posts
Let us know how it comes out Jack.

I'm telling ya, those red dot scopes work well for us "old" guys. ;)

TH

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trouthunter said:
Let us know how it comes out Jack.

I'm telling ya, those red dot scopes work well for us "old" guys. ;)

TH
Thank you Martin. Tell me more about those red dot scopes. like.... Would that be for the Mark II or the 10/22 (or could I catch a break and find that there are modles for both?), Where do you get 'em, can you put 'em on yourself, How much do they cost, like that.

Thanks! No such thing as too much info...knowledge is power. :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think that an astigmatism is not an issue anymore if you are wanting the laser surgery. Jack, I don't know when you were last checked, but you might want to look into it again. With the medical advances the way they are, what was not possible last year or the year before, may be possible now. JMO. Good luck at the range!

·
Back in da Saddle
10,141 Posts
Getting old is tough...lol....

Get script shoot glasses!!!!!

I think Paul Marcariso sp a local guide also has an eye shop out your way....

John

·
Registered
770 Posts
Jack ,there is a gun show at the Pasadena convention center this weekend. Check out the red dots - I think 3" circle at 100 yds , about $50 to $100 depending on brand. Good luck, GC.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate all the great feed-back guys. El Cazador, you may be on to something there. I haven't had my eyes examined in about 4 years. I'm not sure I've got the stones to face eye surgery but I'll be exploring ALL my options after the examination. Point is, it's time to make my move.

JTBurf, the script shooting glasses is what I'm hoping to be able to come out of this with. I would prefer it to the surgery (I think) and I didn't really want to scope either gun but...

...CFarms if it comes to that then I'll be checking out the red dot thang. Not this weekend but, you know, there is always a gun show coming up somewhere around here. If nothing comes together for me in the eye department then I'll be HAPPY to scope both guns.

I was pretty depressed about it all when I got home today but I feel pretty good about it now. At least y'all have helped me to see that I do have some options. And a solution is out there.

Thanks again!

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
El Cazador is right... they have some new procedures and machines that make it possible for folks with astigmatism.. you should check into it. Good luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Lasik IS a possibility. My best friend had his vision corrected 3 months ago. He had very bad astigmatism and always wore glasses or contacts. Now he is 20/20 and 20/15. Worth a shot (no pun intended) to see if you also would be a candidate for this.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I agree on the surgery option. My son recently had his eyes done and I remember seeing that they can now correct the astigmatism. My wife had her eyes done about 10 years ago and says it is the best money we ever spent, called it a medical miracle. Good luck to you.

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
Walkin Jack,

I know they can do the astigmatism on laser surgery. My astigmatism was over 2 and almost 3 times the standard. My vision was not that bad (20/40 best as I can remember) but the astigmatism was so bad I couldn't read the sport tickers on the bottom of espn or fox sports and I KNEW had to get it fixed. I had lasik vision institute do mine. They are in the Gallerial area. This was about 2-3 years ago. Cost was about 900 per eye. They did the surgery twice. First time fixed about 1/2 the problem second fixed it COMPLETELY. My vision was 20/15 with no astigmatism problem and the best vision I have ever had. IT CAN BE DONE.

·
Registered
153 Posts
frustrated at the range

O.K., let me hit you with this, you may already know, but here goes. The eye cant focus on three things at one time so dont worry about your rear sight being a little fuzzy or the target for that matter, as long as you can see your front sight clearly you should be able to hit where you are aiming. Also there are some open sight three dot systems out there on the market, and they are alot cheaper than eye surgery.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ss mudminnow said:
O.K., let me hit you with this, you may already know, but here goes. The eye cant focus on three things at one time so dont worry about your rear sight being a little fuzzy or the target for that matter, as long as you can see your front sight clearly you should be able to hit where you are aiming. Also there are some open sight three dot systems out there on the market, and they are alot cheaper than eye surgery.
Well that's just the problem. I can see the sights on the Glocks just fine. But the sights on the Rugers are smaller and darker and I am having some real problems with them.

As far as the surgery goes I'm wondering if age is a factor. At 62 am I too old?

·
Registered
153 Posts
get you some of those three dot open sights and mount on your gun they have flourescent dots on them for blind people like you and i

118 Posts
I know that problem..lol.. I sighted my open sight sks about 12yrs. ago and couldn't put the target with my sights. If I looked up, I could see the target, but not my sights. But, when I look down, I could see my sights and a fuzzy target..lol.. So, I adjusted my open sight where I would set the fuzzy target on my clear sights, and no problem. I still do this today. I do have trifocals.. Had them more than 20 yrs. I just adjusted that way. Then, my cousins come out with the red dot and man, those are good...

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
This may sound a bit basic, but an inexpensive quick fix is to use Model paints. (Testor) Is the brand I think.
We have shipped a lot of it to Iraq and the troops love neon green and orange. We were given this tip here on the board.

We have it on a couple of our Diamondback .22s and .38s.
Just a thought.

Robs

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LIONESS-270 said:
This may sound a bit basic, but an inexpensive quick fix is to use Model paints. (Testor) Is the brand I think.
We have shipped a lot of it to Iraq and the troops love neon green and orange. We were given this tip here on the board.

We have it on a couple of our Diamondback .22s and .38s.
Just a thought.

Robs
Thanks Robs. I tried some brite=white but the light has to be just right for me to be able to see them still...and it never is. Especially on the 10/22, the front site is just a small bead. I'm talkin' REAL small. The "v" in the rear site is also REAL small so that when you get them lined up the front sight just about completely fills the "v". I need to get me some a them GREAT-OL'-BIG-OL sights. Or glasses. Or an operation. Or scopes. Or maybe take up basket weaving or yodeling or something. Sigh................

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Walkin' Jack said:
Thanks Robs. I tried some brite=white but the light has to be just right for me to be able to see them still...and it never is. Especially on the 10/22, the front site is just a small bead. I'm talkin' REAL small. The "v" in the rear site is also REAL small so that when you get them lined up the front sight just about completely fills the "v". I need to get me some a them GREAT-OL'-BIG-OL sights. Or glasses. Or an operation. Or scopes. Or maybe take up basket weaving or yodeling or something. Sigh................
You could always go with an aftermarket sight like something from XS -- maybe the Big Dot set???

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Up-date...the EYES have it.

I have now been to the eye doc and we have a plan. I had the most thorough eye exam of my life and I will be getting some new computer glasses (a bifocal for mid-range and close up), some single vision reading glasses, and some single vision distance vision glasses. I didn't have any of the BOYZ with me so I have to go back tomorrow and take a couple of 'em with me and let her get me fixed up with some shooting glasses. she said that she has done a lot of that and that with my eyes the way they are I shouldn't have any problems.

I asked her about the prospects of having surgery and it was a good news/bad news kinda deal:
Good news - I'm not too old and my astigmatism would not be a problem.
Bad news - It would cost between 5K and 9K depending upon which proceedure I choose. There are about 3 to choose from. And my insurance would not cover any of the cost. Sigh.....

I should be getting all the new glasses in within two weeks or less. Unless I completely embarrass myself at the range, I'll post another up-date and a few targets after I can see what I'm shooting at. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
My father has gone to illuminated reticles on all his rifles because of his eyes. He has some trijicons and leupolds. I believe his favorites are the leupolds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts