2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2860 ProKat twin 250 Suzukis
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to fish Trinity bay especially the northern part and was wondering if it would better to trailer my boat to say, Fort Anahuac or would it be better to put in at Eagle Point and make the run by water? Are there any obstacles I should be aware of if going by boat? Thanks, Bigfish

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I think it's a personal preference depending on how much you spend on fuel and how early you want to begin fishing assuming you launch at the same time of the morning at either location. Our preference is to launch locally and make the run across the bay.
Other than Todds Dump and the Exxon A Lease minefield (occassional pipe) there are no real obstacles in the way.

·
2860 ProKat twin 250 Suzukis
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you launch and what route do you take? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
We launch in Clear Creek channel (270 bridge ramp) and head out of the Kemah/Seabrook channel then make a beeline straight across. No obstacles taking that route (that aren't obvious spoil islands ;) ).
You can launch under the Kemah/Seabrook bridge on either side of the channel.

Bob

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Be carefull Cutting close to the end of Atkinson Island. Very shallow reef is on south end.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Beware

If out by the wells, watch out for the cables in the water."East of channel" I have one marked that is surface level, depending on the tides.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
two points

As Hooked says its personal preference. I can think of two reasons Id trailer around. One reason is obstacles, as stated above there are things in the water to run into all over our bay syatems. Im sure everyone's gps looks different in places as far as marked structure. The more water you cover the higher percentage you are gonna run across something you dont want to. Of course Ive hit stuff within eyesight of the ramp so thats just a general observation. Another big thing for me is escapability. My boat will run anywhere in Galveston but I always trailer to the closest ramp in the area Im gonna fish. Reason being is if the weather goes nasty on you there isnt a 20 mile run between you and the truck. I always decide where Im gonna fish the day before and plan accordingly. Reason being I dont mind driving through a thunder boomer in my truck but dont wanna have to do it in my boat. And as mmany know Trinity is a deep bay and gets about as rough as any bay on the coast except maybe Sabine. Ive been in 4-5fters easily before in Trinity when a front blew in and its not fun in a bay boat. Just another angle to think about. The weather theory also applies to any mechanical problems requiring a tow. Id feel horrible if I broke down in Trinity and asked to be towed to Eagle Point, or ask to be driven all the way around to get my truck. Just me though, everyone has thier own preference. Its easy for me to sit here and say cause I live so close to the water its an easy run for me. Good Luck, Trinity can be an awesome place to fish when its on.

Z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts