2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

fridays capt johns party boat trip

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  awesum 
#1 ·
we had a decent trip. the 5 of us had 11 keeper snaps and 3 beeliners. rowdy got his limit and the rest of us struggled. its a really nice boat, i like the set up.

i'm curious about others that have been on the this boat, we had 3 deckhands and they were never there to help with tangles or brake offs. people were calling for them all day to help with sharks and tangles. my buddy had a deck hand brake 2 sharks off before they got on board and the leader was shot, the deck hand walked off and left him to rerig his boat rod. is this the norm?

also a tid bit of info for the rest of you, they stop selling beer 1 1/2 hr before they reach the dock. kinda wish i knew that before hand.

also, dont try and sneak any food on board, the psycho lady that checks your bags doesnt play no games. her fingers are all over your bags inside and out. heck we had buckets with bait that had alittle ice on them and she said we couldnt bring ice on board. thats crazy. they finally let it on. no sunflower seeds either, they stick to the deck is what they said. hmmm how about all those squid pieces and other baits that werent washed down till we started home.

it was an experience, capt casey was a much better experience.

i'm not trying to dog the boat, we had a blast. maybe they were short deck hands? they set us up on some fish, and its up to us to catch them. i'd do it again, just now i know what to expect.

bone

See less See more
#2 ·
(I was on that trip)

I came home with no keeper snapper, only one king. The guy next to me seemed to me a regular, "Sam" was on first name bias with the Captain and most of the crew. I think Capt. Johnny came down to talk to Sam at almost every stop. Sam had a couple of reds, and two large Mangroves - without his help, I wouldn't have got my one king. I fisned Snapper slappers - seems like for this trip, most of the snapper came off of regular Carolina-rig set up. By the time I realized this, we were at our last stop.

I was near the back of the boat - there was almost always a "decky" working the back of the boat.

Anyway - her is my fish-

Overall, I enjoyed the trip.

Attachments

#3 ·
Sorry to hear about your trip BONE.

I have fished on the Capt John numerous times and have done a number of 36hr Tuna trips.

I peronally have enjoyed everyone of them. There has been times where I only was able to bring home 2 R. Snapps on day trips, while watching others, help people fill their limits, but hey, thats fishing.

Thats a lot of boat for only 3 deckhands, and I am sure if your friend needed the help and he would of asked, the deckhands would of been there.
I have found on the way out, if your a newbie to offshore, let the dechands know that you might need some extra assistance.

Reading the last few fishing reports that the Capt John has posted, it sounds like you did a little better than the average fisherman. It appears that each boat is avg. approx. 1.75 red snapper per person. If your anything like me, I want to limit out every time, considering its ONLY 4, but sometime I'm lucky and other times I'm greatful the Red Snappers have not been over fished to a point where we cant evern keep one.

Good to here everyone made it back safe.

Tight Line,
Bryan

#4 ·
I have been on the Capt. John two times. Results have been pretty good. However, I was not too happy find out that the deck hands "threw away" our $60 worth of left over bait on the way back into the dock. Of course I learned this after our group of four gave the deck hands their $50 dollar tip. I wonder what they did with our bait??? The way I see it, they actually got a $110 tip with our bait. Overall service is good and our trips were enjoyable. We may try a different boat next trip....Maybe Capt. Elliot.

#7 ·
Thanks for the report bone. I think it is important to report the great trip that one goes out on one of these boat. But also equally important is to report the negative on these party boat. After all we all pay good money to go out and catches fish. It also sets a guidance for others who haven't taken a trip on the same boat to know what to expect on a first trip from these boat.

#8 ·
Capt John Party Boat Trip Friday 7/14/06

I fished this past Friday aboard Capt John's boat with my brother "BONE", his wife Kim, and two friends Jason & Russell. I also had the pleasure of meeting a fellow TTMB'er "Jerry Rigged" (sorry, I forget your first name). This was my first experience on a party boat althou I have many years offshore fishing experience. My report about the trip and service......POSITIVE- great riding boat, when you make your reservation you can request the particular seat you want so long as it is open so no fighting to get there at the dock 2 hours early to stand in line for the best spot, the inside of the boat was comfortable with cushioned seats and A/C, the boat kept it's schedule (depart at 7:30 am and return at 7:30 pm), the boat "stringer" system of keeping each persons fish seemed to work great and the price was $70 bucks for a weekday. I had a very enjoyable time and would go again on Capt John's boat. To be fair I have a few NEGATIVES- "Absolutely" no bring on food, not even sunflower seeds, there were only 3 deckhands on this trip for 70+ people (I personally never needed assistance but saw others wait 5+ minutes to get a tangle un-done, new hook, line re-rigged or have a fish gafed), AND the last bit is purly a selfish gripe but the alcohol sell stoped at the last fishing spot with a 2 1/2 hr ride to the dock. I had my FIRST beer at 4:45 pm and planned to enjoy two or three more on the ride back to the dock but after my first beer was empty the bar had closed. dang. I totally understand the reason for this boat rule so as I said, this is purly a personal gripe. Otherwise great time. The fishing was decent, fishing is not called catching but I did get a limit of red snapper (all 16 1/4" to 18") and 4 Atlantic spadefish. Boy are those suckers hard to clean. Thanks for reading. Tight Lines to all.

Rowdy (Rusty Hook)

#9 ·
Guys, I think the reason that they stop selling beer an hour and a half before they get back to port is for liability reasons. If they allowed & enabled someone to get drunk on the boat and then leave and get in a wreck, well, use your imagination. Lawyers would be coming out of the woodwork to sue them. Besides, you wouldn't want to drink 6 beers and then immediately get in your car and drive your family home would you?

I also think it may have something to do with selling beer in Federal waters vrs. State waters? I think it's illegal to sell beer in State waters?

Lumberjack93

#11 ·
When I lived in Houston I fished on the Texsun II a number of times but haven't been out on the Captain John yet. Mainly because of the crowds and having to pay to park there. 60 to 80 people just seems like too many to me. Down here I fish out of DSH and although the boats (75') are licensed for 65 people they cut it off at 39 for reason of safety and comfort. Plus you can park about 50' away.

I am down with the Capt. John for a 36 hr trip in September though.

I recall once on the Texsun II I had a package of crackers in my ditty bag left over from a previous trip down here that I didn't even know was there and when they found them they treated me like a criminal.

I doubt there's any law about selling beer in state/federal waters. Down here they will sell beer from the time you board til the time you disembark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.