2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an extended absence from the water, Dewey and I headed out to the North Jetty this morning. With all of the rain and thunderstorms over the past few days, Friday seemed like it would be the first day in a long while without any rain.During the late evening, or early morning a small front must have blown through, the flags in LaPorte were still, but the flags at Boyd's reflected a NNE Wind at about 10-15 mph. This little front must have raised the barometric pressure and clamped the fish jaws closed.

The water was sandy green at the end of the Jetty with visibility to about 2 - 3 foot. With the wind shifting more to the ENE, there was not much protected water.

We put out cut shad, cut mullet and some live shrimp out and quickly had a nice run. A nice 4 ½ foot Black Tip Shark jumped our balloon line and the fight was on. After a few minutes, he was at the boat and I handed the rod to Dewey so I could leader the fish. I still don't know what happened - but I swear Dewey took out his pocket knife and cut the line - for when I went to leader the fish - there was no leader - there was no fish. Dewey did a good job of acting astonished - but still … I think he was guilty somehow. (grin)

We caught a few gaftop, some small shark, but nothing else. The wind had shifted so we headed over closer to the Jetty for some semi-protected water. This also gave Dewey a chance to throw a popping cork with live shrimp up into the rocks. Didn't have any takers there.

While we were there, I noticed little baitfish around the boat. Not for sure what they really are - shad or menhaden - but I pulled out a little SABIKI rig to see if I could catch some. I had not ever used this, but saw some guys on TV use one to pick up some bait for offshore - so I bought one next time I was at the store.

Dewey was laughing at me until I put it in the water and brought up 5 baitfish on my 5-hook SABIKI rig! I ended up putting about 15 of these guys in the baitwell.

I baited up the balloon line with one of this little live wired guys and some shad to go with him and put it out. After a few minutes, the line took off screaming! For those who read my reports - you know this is my "Dream Line." A line I constantly put out in hopes of catching an ever-illusive Tarpon. I thought this was it … my heart was pounding as I switched to the main drag and leaned back hard.

Then the fun really started - the fish shot out of the water! He jumped out, totally cleared the water, and took off with the drag screaming. It was a big, strong, thick Black Tip Shark and he was highly motivated! It was a great fight!

We got him to the boat, gaffed him, bled him, tucked him in the icebox and gave him to one of the church families who love shark to eat.

With the conditions the way they were, water clarity and baitfish we thought we should have caught more fish that we did. The only explanation we could come up with was the rise in barometric pressure. But still - all in all - we did catch 2 good large Black Tips and spent a good morning on the water.

Pics on the Blog: http://daparsonfishing.blogspot.com/

Fish Well!
Mark

PS: Not really knowing what those little fish were ... can you tell me what they are ... and have you had success in using them as bait? Thanks!

Attachments

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
G.B. said:
Atlantic Bumper
ditto..

I caught the heck out of those things last summer offshore at a rig.. I was catching at least 4 everytime out of the 6 sabiki jigs.. The ling seemed to like them(at that time) and we caught a few small sharks on them..I think I counted about 6 dozen before i stopped filling up the live well..

·
Registered
186 Posts
not sure if its good bait. caught nothing last time. but on the other hand the trout werent hittin the fish...i'd still use mullet, shad, or porgies if i had the option.

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
They are one of my favorite live baits due to size and brilliant flashiness (is that word?) in the water

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,638 Posts
They are Atlantic Bumpers and we have been Sabiking them also out by a rig. The are great live bait for Ling, King, Sharks and just about anything else that eats little fish.

Mark, as always great report and congrats on the sharks. The bumpers are also good Tarpon bait, so hang in there it will happen one day.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
north jetty

Mr. Parson, I am pretty sure my wife and I saw u at the jetties friday. Just remembering your face from all your online photos. We idled past u and dewey(I believe) Looks as if ya'll were heading towards the boat cut From the end of the jetty. Anyway wanted to say hi, But looks as if u were on a redfish mission. Wanted to share my excitement, caught my first triple-tail 1/2 mile off the jetty; under a small piece of cardboard. See u next time.

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great News!

tommy261 said:
Mr. Parson, I am pretty sure my wife and I saw u at the jetties friday. Just remembering your face from all your online photos. We idled past u and dewey(I believe) Looks as if ya'll were heading towards the boat cut From the end of the jetty. Anyway wanted to say hi, But looks as if u were on a redfish mission. Wanted to share my excitement, caught my first triple-tail 1/2 mile off the jetty; under a small piece of cardboard. See u next time.
Congratulations on the Triple-Tail! We stopped at a spot we fish sometimes down towards the boat cut - if you would have seen me later - I was sprawled out on the bow of the boat taking a nap - hoping to hear a reel sing! But all I heard was wind - waves - and I think Dewey snoring! (grin)

Would love to meet you! Stop by next time!

To everyone else - thanks for the information on the bait fish and sabiki rig! Boutyhunter - I am going to put some under a balloon and hope for the best!

Thanks again guys!
Mark

·
Charter Member
5,922 Posts
DA, that bait fish looks a lot like a Rat-L-Trap! :)
Nice report. Keep 'em coming.
Mike

·
The Redd Fisher
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bumpers Galore!

haparks said:
just curious since i have never seen one of these sabiki rigs---would crappie jigs work like the sabiki rig or is this a crazy idea
I by no means am anywhere close to knowing ... (laughing) ... I tried this once and it worked - - it may never work again! But you know I will try. We are going to keep a couple in the boat and try again though.

The SABIKI Rig I bought was only a couple of bux - so it isn't a great investment. It had itty-bitty hooks - that caught a 200 lb Redd several times - (grin). I would imagine the ones the guys use offshore would have larger hooks.

Pier Rat - I think you are right on - Atlantic Bumper - a few have said they were good for bait - I sure thought they looked like good bait - nice and iridescently shiney! Back last August - I think - Jacks were showering Bumpers about 200 yards off the North Side of the Jetty. Dewey and I moved towards them - I through a spoon into them and hooked up with big Jacks twice - so I at least know that Jacks like them. I have also seen the Bumpers thick right at the boat cut when the tides are ripping. So it SEEMS that they would be good bait. I guess it will take a couple of more times to find out.

Has anyone caught fish using these? Don't tell locations! (grin)

Mike - I think you are right - they do look like one of those big honking 1 oz Rat-L-Traps!

Thanks again guys!

·
2860 ProKat twin 250 Suzukis
108 Posts
My wife and I fished under green lights Friday night at the north jetty. The tide was going out big time until about 11 or 12 then it slowed and it was easier to get bait to the bottom without so much weight. After that the bite turned on pretty good. We limited by 1:30 with trout up to 19 inches, my wife caught that one. We usually catch a few redfish but didn't catch a one that night. Last week we limited on reds both nights we were there but the trout were scarce, we only had 14 in two nights. About the fish you caught on the sabiki rig. We target those by the near shore rigs when we go offshore, we always call them hardtails, I don't know if that is correct but it is the name we use. They are excellent live bait and very hardy. We saw them last week under the lights at the north jetty and schools of stings rays would run through the lights and eat them. They were cow nosed rays, I caught one and got a close up look, it sure does look like a cow's nose.
Take care, Bigfish

·
Registered
97 Posts
flounder love'm

I wondered what they were called. my brother and I were down fishing for flatties last November when bait was very scarce the day we went. We went over to the boat cut and like you said the water was boiling with these guys. We threw the cast net a few times and had 10 dozen or so. When we went over to the ferry landing the flounder kiked them better than the few finger mullet we had. When we got back over to the YB a guide asked us what we used and when we showed him he said it was one of the most productive baits he has ever used. (when you can get them)

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow wen i fish the g-pier i catch those all the time with the sabiki wen im bored but i was always told they wernt good for bait so r they good bait or not. i wonder if there good for smacks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts