2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well living down here by the bay i dont do any freshwater fishing but this week im going to my uncles ranch near austin that has servel ponds stocked with largemouth.Ive talked to him and he told me he doesnt fish them in the cold so he didnt have any advice to me. im wanting to catch a few bass and was wondering what lures and color to use and i would think fishing slow like down here in the winter will produce some bass. any advice will be great.

Hook'em

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Bass are a lot harder to catch in the winter as they really become lathargec(sp). Slow for sure as well as smaller presentation. I would bump small worms and grubs along the bottom and near structure sticking out of the water. As for colors, man that is a hit or miss. This year electric blue zoom worms have worked well for me as well as junebug. I would even think maybe like a small white spinner bait. A lot depends on water clarity when it comes to colors.

Good luck

·
Lone Eagle
1,920 Posts
Bass can in fact be very tuff this time of the year. Depending on water clarity, I do like throwing a small chartreuse and white spinner bait.....usually put a small white trailer worm on it. You also might try a black or junebug 6" lizard Texas rigged this time of year. Another technique i use all year is a small "1/16 oz" plain jig head with a 4" or 5" trick worm. Watermelon Candy, Junebug, Plum, as well as Blue are my choices of colore.

Be prepared to "Get your Arm Broke" fishing these type ponds. A lot of them have some" Monstereous Bucketmouths" in them and they will be feeding in prepration for the upcoming spawn. Bass usually spawn earlier in ponds than in the lakes as the water warms up earlier.

Good Luck and let us see a report.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
If you get some live minnows and soak in some of the deeper holes, you can pick up a few that way also.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Frogs and lizards have always been my "go-to" baits in these small ponds like you describe. With it being so cold this weekend, I would probably go with a trick worm on the bottom near structure. Slow presentation and twitches will kill 'em this time of year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts