2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filleted a limit of specks at noon on Wednesday. The fish went in the refrigerator and did not go into freezer.

Is it still good for Saturday to fry? 3 days in the refrigerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Taking shots at fish
2,252 Posts
Should be, if it was handled well from the beginning. Smell it, how does it look and smell? Shouldn’t have any fishy odors. If it does, then I’d pass on cooking it.

That’s as far as I’ll push fish in the refrigerator, but I know folks that go beyond 3 days.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I’ve gone up to 5 days with filleted trout/reds/drum/flounder that were cleaned fresh and put on ice or in the fridge and it’s always been fine.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No way!! Give me your address so I can pick it up and dispose of it in proper batter and oil. Jk. If it was handled properly I wouldn’t think twice about it.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,990 Posts
Shouldn't be any problem with it - I usually will leave in fridge up to a week before freezing if not all cooked. Just think of the journey from catch to table of a commercially caught fish - I would think way more than 3 days a lot of times.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Plenty of folks take multi day fishing trips and leave uncleaned fish on ice in the cooler the entire time. I'd not have any problems with it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you handle it properly from catch to refrigerator, 7-10 days is no problem...counting from the time it was caught..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Code

For restaurant type establishments in the State of Texas, State code for cooked foods is that after 7 days at 41F, the food must be discarded...there is no code for how long to keep raw meat/fish in Texas....but, the science is that cold temperatures slow down bacterial growth but they don’t stop the growth completely. So, it’s important to use food in a timely fashion to help maintain freshness and quality. Over time, even chilled foods will spoil....generally, holding raw fish in the refrigerator (41F) should be no more than 4 days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts