2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large inground pool that I cycle clean/filter at night for 6 hours. I will be taking the tabs off the timer Wednesday evening & letting the equipment (above ground) run continuously throughout this sustained freeze pattern to keep it from freezing. I'm thinking about cranking the heater up overnight Friday just to be sure. The other thought I had is that this would be a great time to run the self clean oven cycle. My GE oven blows ALOT of heat when I clean it & I am thinking this weekend would be perfect. I did the cars, pipes, plants, & pet. (my lil biotch dog sleeps practically under me when it's cold :smile:)
Any other suggestions for a frigid Thursday through at least Sunday?

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
doubt that you need to run the heater, just running the filtration system should keep the water circulating and it won't freeze. Now, if you move this pool to North Dakota, you might have an issue, but this is Texas and most of the plumbing is buried.
I have a concern about a self-contained spa. Wondering if I should drain it, or just let the circulation run...

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
doubt that you need to run the heater, just running the filtration system should keep the water circulating and it won't freeze. Now, if you move this pool to North Dakota, you might have an issue, but this is Texas and most of the plumbing is buried.
I have a concern about a self-contained spa. Wondering if I should drain it, or just let the circulation run...
which is more expensive...the water, or the electricity to run it?

my guess is that it would cost more to run it than it would to refill it.

·
www.jacksride.org
5,221 Posts
A spa should be fine. As long as there is someplace to go when the water turns to ice. It will expand toward the opening and possibly overflow, not rupture any plumbing. A bottle of water in the freezer with the lid off will not burst, it will just freeze out the top as it expands. Not an expert, but an observation.

Thanks for reminding me to wrap my pipes.

fangard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts