2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
If you can't Hook EM, GIG EM
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure I am toast and am starring down the barrel of a new engine but wanted to ask a few questions as I am in my first inboard/outboard boat. Really wishing I would not have got out of my bay boat last year and went for the lake boat living in Austin but no sense crying at this point so here goes:

Took my boat out of storage today and proceeded doing all of the new season activities and taking it out of winterization mode. Changed lower unit oil, engine oil and decided to run the engine for a few minutes before we head to the lake so there were no surprises. (Was a little nervous after the SNOVID freeze from Feb) Ran the motor for a few minutes with the muffs and noticed water started the float in the bilge. Around the same time heard the engine run rough and when I noticed the really bad news. Raised the hatch on the 5.0 Merc MPI and saw a creamy tapioca mixture spewing out of an engine hose and water leaking out from under the engine. Checked the dip stick and saw the same tapioca on the dip stick which just minutes before had fresh clean oil. Obviously water has made it's way into the engine and thoroughly mixed into the oil. Before you say, should have had a heater in the engine bay. I had put one in the engine bay but turns out does not do much good when you lose power.... So questions:

1) Is the engine ruined or is there some fix that I don't know about that could be minor compared to a new engine?
2) I have full comprehensive insurance with Progressive which I have had 3 boats with them and would be my first claim, which I initiated today. Anyone have any experience with something like this being covered by insurance, either boat insurance or homeowners? My simple mind is that this should be covered, if a tree fell from ice (had lost several big ones this freeze), it could have just as easily split my boat in two so what is the difference if this is an act of god? Based on my brief looking, it appears I might be covered but would love any one with experience to chime in.
3) Am betting replacement engines are back ordered because of COVID and now the demand from people having the same problem I just ran into today? Anyone seeing long lead-times on engines?

Thanks in advance for insight.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes, the engine is toast along with exhaust manifolds. You don’t mention the engine manufacture. Mercury sells reman engines with same warranty as new for less $. Not sure what other engine manufactures offer. Yes, the freeze caught a lot of boat owners off guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes the motor needs full rebuild if even rebuildable. New motor time. Even some vehicles blocks cracked from the freeze, so I am sure you will not be the only claim they are dealing with about the freeze. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Generally the ins. will cover all labor but just a varying % of new parts ... as low as 20% depending on how old the boat is, you might want to hope it's rebuildable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts