2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit as few rigs and reefs this past weekend, and it was pretty tough. Wind and the waves kept most people at bay it seemed. Yesterday 42035 was reporting 4.9 waves.

We used ribbon and sardines, and landed 4 sharks and only 3 spanish macks. Pretty decent macks though, and will have pictures to post hopefully today.

On a side note, I made the mistake of using a triple leader yesterday. Trolling at 1.5-2.0 mph with 8 ounces to get it down, we hear the reel go nuts. My buddy picks up the reel and over tightens the star drag. Straightened out the leader clip!! We all just looked at each other with opened mouths saying "what the #$%^ was that!!" :)

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
we tried the same out of Sargent, new better but the man paying for the trip really wanted to so we ran out to the first rigs. had no luck couldn't stay on a rig and the water was terrible for trolling. hit some rain and ended up coming back to Freeport.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigdaddyriverrat said:
we tried the same out of Sargent, new better but the man paying for the trip really wanted to so we ran out to the first rigs. had no luck couldn't stay on a rig and the water was terrible for trolling. hit some rain and ended up coming back to Freeport.
We actually picked up our fish about 400 yards off the rigs. Nothing around them for some reason. Saw a few small reds about 5-10 foot under the surface near them, but they werent interested.

·
Registered
654 Posts
We went out Saturday from Port A and had solid 6' seas with some 8' to 10' mixed in
we last about two hours only had a 40 lb. jackfish to show for our efforts. hopefully this wind will lay down, but not looking good for this weekend either.

Andy

·
1,918 Posts
we did come across some 8 footers, had a guy with us who had never been out before who started having a panic attack. i figuured he was going to get sick but he got deathly scared, i thought we were going to have to tie him up. we got back in the river and he settled down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funny... i had a guy in the boat who had never been out of the bays either. He was shocked to see waves like that. Didnt get sick though, and I thought that was pretty good. He emailed me this morning saying he still has a little sea legs going. :)

·
1,918 Posts
This guy had me worried, i mean i got a little hairy but never out of control. We should have known better as we were coming out of Caney Creek there was a 26 foot Cat coming back in that had turned around and we decided to try in my buddies 22' whaler. live and learn, but **** i was tired of being inshore!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts