2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=1dbfdfa88bcc540f.

Freeport Marina on pace to open

By Nathaniel Lukefahr
The Facts
Published October 3, 2008

FREEPORT - Officials say construction of the long-awaited Freeport Marina is on pace and still set to open in spring despite the interference of power outages and debris caused by Hurricane Ike.

Crews haven't been seen working as often on the marina since the storm, which came ashore the night of Sept. 12, because construction equipment couldn't get power, Mayor Larry McDonald said. Workers' focus has been turned toward more immediate needs such as debris removal, he said.

But the projected $7.2 million marina still should open on time, Economic Development Commission Vice President Clan Cameron said. Cameron is also a city councilman.

The marina building and the docks survived the storm without any damage, McDonald said.

"From the standpoint of the hurricane, we will not spend any more money," McDonald said. "There was no damage and the building survived."

Over the course of the project since its inception in the early 2000s, officials have debated the project's need. The marina survived six years of political power struggles and court battles. Many opposed the city's attempted use of eminent domain to secure dockfront property for the marina.

In the ensuing turmoil, former City Manager Ron Bottoms left and former Mayor Jim Phillips was defeated by McDonald.

Cameron was happy the project is nearing its conclusion because it has caused much more trouble than it is worth, he said.

"It was a big debacle," he said. "I'll be happy to see it finished."

In January, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers granted permits needed for the marina construction. The permits, one for Section 10 and one for Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, allow the construction of underwater bulkheading and wet slip docks on the surface of the Old Brazos River. The permits were the culmination of 14 months of historical research, divers looking for shipwrecks on the river bottom and tons of paperwork.

McDonald said when finished, the marina could attract more business to the city. Cameron viewed the marina as another city park, not as something that could add commerce or jobs.

"The marina was approached as the last, best hope," he said. "I never considered it a hope to begin with. Businesses and entrepreneurs create jobs. I call it a really fancy park."

Cameron has stood sternly against the city's use of eminent domain to obtain land to construct the marina. The city built a new building to relocate Trico Door Shop for the marina project and is in legal proceedings with Western Seafood.

The original figure to complete the marina was about $6 million, McDonald said. But the fees associated with the Trico Door Shop building and the legal battle are the reason for the higher projected cost, Cameron said.

"Basically, we're stuck with it," Cameron said. "It's going through."

·
Banned
797 Posts
i just skimmed through the article and may have missed it, but, where exactly is it going to be?

rbt2

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Its in downtown freeport in the harbor. The drystack building is mostly complete.

·
Registered
681 Posts
F. P. mar4ina

I live in the area. I fish in the area, I have used the municipal park ramp on a regular basis. I will not ( never ) use the new facility as I will not patronize a business that would trample on the rights of their citizens. The city of Freeport and the politicians who run it, should have thought about the civil righs issue before they forged ahead. OK,soap box is getting full. Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
thanks for the update Hog, its great to sea competition
it would be nice and sea them put in a slip for us that will not leave our bote behind

1 - 7 of 7 Posts