2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does freeport look after Ike? Fishable? Will be heading down to freeport in the next couple of days for work. Will be bringing a couple of rods of course. Any good bank spots or piers to try out? Can't haul boat, or yaks.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Best "pier" in the area is the Surfside jetty...Gulf on one side channel on the other. When the waters right, its great.

There are some great beach wading spots...maybe I should say WERE some great wading spots depending on changes by Ike. But there have been some obvious changes in the bottom contours since the storm. Usually though can get a clue from watching bird activity on the beach.

My BIL likes to set out a couple of rods on the beach and soak some live mullet and sip on some beer under a shade. He does about as well as anyone with trout and reds.

Good luck.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on now guys. Plenty of people fishing this area. Someone knwssome good spots.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The beach has changed. It is not anything like it was. My wife and I were down there last weekend to check our house. They were only letting property owners in at the time. It's a mess, wait a while so we can sort thru our stuff. Blue water highway only goes down about half way now, the rest was washed out.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I will be own there for work mainly looking for places I can maybe fish in the area. Sorry if I offended you 032490.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You might try the Brazoria wildlife reuge which allows you access to salt lake. I don't know if it's open after the storm. In the past roads have washed out after such events . Have about 3 gallons of off mosquito spray handy no matter where you try.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Haven't been fishing, but can tell you that the Brazos looks like Choclate Milk right now. Running high and very muddy.

Mosquitos in any marshy areas are terrible. DEET and head nets, long sleeves and pants will be required if you want any blood left. County has been spraying by truck and plane, but I think it just makes them mad. Was on the golf course for about three hours this afternoon. Even with the wind they were very aggressive and hungry.

Right now I would say if you want fish, try HEB. At least you won't get West Nile Virus getting them.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heading to freeport right now. Coldn't bring yak because this is for work. I will try to fish if I have some off time.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have not tried to head into surfside. I might head to Bryan beach on sunday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts