2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month or so of all work and no play, I was able to play hookie yesterday and decided to go fishing regardless of the forecast. Met up 2Cooler's Ono Loco, PubGuy and TXFirenFish at ICM @6:30. Boat was in the water and fueled as requested, so we were off...

Broke the jetties around 7:00 to solid 3-4' at 4 seconds seas and a stiff SSE breeze, but with the forecast saying things would get better, we threw out a line and started heading south at 5 knots. Didn't take long for the action to start - 2 or 3 miles off the jetties we got a ~24" chicken dolphin. With him in the box, we decided we needed a couple more lines out. Had steady action of bonita (3 or 4), a spanish mack, kingfish (4, couple to ~15 lbs), and a overly optimistic bar jack on the troll out. Lost a marauder to something big due to a mis-set drag...If anyone catches a fish wearing some mackerel marauder "bling" give Ono Loco a shout, he'd like it back...

Hit our target wreck around 1:00 without having found any good weed lines or making any live bait. Tried unsuccessfully to anchor and hit our small spot, so I gave up fishing and drove the boat, trying to keep the crew busy pulling up snappers. Probably 1 keeper in every 3 fish landed, with the last one landed being the best of the day - Pubguy filled our 4 man limit with a 6 pounder to take the big fish pot. Boxed a couple more kings and a monster trigger fish here too. Back in to the dock by 6:30 or so...

All in all, a fun day on the water with a great bunch of guys. TxFirenfish did a great on his first small boat trip offshore, especially given the "sporty" conditions. Thanks for all the help guys - you're all welcome on board any time! We only took a couple of pics - I'll post them up once I downsize them little more...

-KD

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks for the report and an option to consider on rough days.(Trolling at 5 knots and catching) I'm glad you all had a good time, because 3-4s aren't usually fun.

·
Tico wannabe
265 Posts
Thanks for the ride K D. Nice boat, great company and some cooperating fish. Who could ask for anything more?

Coupla milestones for me on this trip - first chicken dolphin and personal best snapper.

Don't tell anyone that we got good service at ICM! I thought it was a nice touch that they had several fish cleaning gloves available at the cleaning table.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics...

Yeah SB, no sense beating the crew and the boat up when you can go slow, have fun, and catch fish you would normally drive right over. After the last month, I was just happy to be on the water...

Here's Pubguy's "catch of the day" plus the rest of our snapper at the "are we sure we have our limit" count...

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crocs everywhere...

Pubguy, Croc sighting indeed - I'm a believer in those ugly things after yesterday's trip...Sorry we didn't get a pic of you with your first dolphin, it was the first for the boat, too. Guess we'll just have to catch some more ;-)

Mike, we've only been at ICM for a couple of months, but have had nothing but great service. Then again, I'm lucky to get down there once every other week, so I don't generate a lot f work for them...

-KD

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just kidding...

Actually, I didn't mind driving at all - it gave me a chance to start figuring out how the image on the sounder matches with the fish coming over the side. I do need to get a ride in the that pretty little Contender some day though...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts