2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Motorhead
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this board, CCCF board, and others longer than I care to admit. I enjoy reading all the reports and after the trip my friend Martin and I had last Wednesday I thought it was time I finally contribute something. Most of my fishing experience is inshore (bays) but Wednesday was my 5th offshore excursion and Martin's first.

We went out with Capt. Elliotts on one of their sport fishing (drift fishing) trips. Weather was perfect and seas were extremely flat. First stop was approx. 50 miles out and Martin immediately hooked up with something he could not stop. We were both using our own tackle, mine being a Garcia 7000 w/30 lb big game. Maybe a little on the light side but really fun. After Martin's first break off, I hook and land a nice king, 15 lbs or so. Martin re rigs and hooks up with a similar size king. Shortly after Martin decks his king, guy next to me lands a 20lb ling. During this trip the same guy that caught the ling, catches a king, a dog snapper, a rainbow runner, an African pompano, and an AJ.

We continue to drift the same area and several kings, AJ's, and another ling are decked. I land another king, closer to 20 lbs a few minutes later. Martin gets another king too. The highlight for me was soon too follow as I hook up on a fish that streaks across the stern and 1/2 way up the starboard side. As I'm chasing him around the boat he runs under the boat to the port side and into several other lines. I play tug-of-war with a couple of lines on the other side of the boat and all I can do is lean over the rail as far as possible to keep the line from breaking on the hull. My fish nears the surface on the port side and I hear someone say "WAHOO". The deck hands try to gaff him but miss.

After another minute or so the captain has everyone on port side reel in except for the few still tangled in my line. One of the deck hands dove over and started untangling my line from the bottom of the boat and from 2 or 3 other lines. Unbeliveably the fish is still on and up near the bow. I reel him in a we get a gaff in him. He was ony 12 lbs. but my first wahoo.

An hour later at a stop behind a shrimp boat Martin and I both get our first dolphin. Chickens at a couple of lbs. each but the only fish caught at the shrimper. Last stop of the day sees the boat deck at least 20 barracuda and 3 or 4 rainbow runners.

Boat returns to dock with a limit of kings for everyone (50 total), a couple of ling, one BFT, AJ's, etc. I caught a total of 4 kings and Martin decked 5 kings. We both broke off several times on bigger fish.

I have some pictures but have to figure out the resizing as they are too large to post on this site. Any help on posting pics is appreciated.

Kirk

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Welcome, and a great report. Good pic. Look at the bars on that hoo. you're going to like the steaks.

Blue water really is something special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts