2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a saltwater flyfisherman, but i'm very interested in spearfishing. Does anyone free dive in texas or is it mainly scuba? Reasons why etc... would be appreciated. I would love to hear any advice on how to get started etc... thanks alot,

cyo

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just started free diving around my jetties. and dont plan on getting certified, only cus i really like not having all that heavy gear on. where are you diving at?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I was at packery today....got hasseled by the lot ratt for the guys working on the jetty. Visiability 2'. I wanted to go to Port A, but I had to keep an eye on time since I'm babysitting my neice.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Its really quite simple ......Aj's are around 80' plus and snapper about the same or more. Ling can be found above 50' for about the first 2-3 minutes of your dive. Mangrove snapper are in the upper 50' or so of the water column. You decide how deep you can dive holding your breath and the time you have to locate, shoot and gain control of a large fish.

cyo said:
i am a saltwater flyfisherman, but i'm very interested in spearfishing. Does anyone free dive in texas or is it mainly scuba? Reasons why etc... would be appreciated. I would love to hear any advice on how to get started etc... thanks alot,

cyo

·
Team OMAB Prostaff
2,414 Posts
Tall1fin said:
Its really quite simple ......Aj's are around 80' plus and snapper about the same or more. Ling can be found above 50' for about the first 2-3 minutes of your dive. Mangrove snapper are in the upper 50' or so of the water column. You decide how deep you can dive holding your breath and the time you have to locate, shoot and gain control of a large fish.
And as for AJ's, yeah you might pop him at 80', but before you can grab your power inflator your at 110' and still going deeper. I'll just stick with blowing bubbles and wearing all that "heavy gear".

·
Registered
169 Posts
cyo said:
Does anyone free dive in texas or is it mainly scuba? cyo
take my guns with me every trip. free dive pretty much every rig we stop at.

cyo said:
I would love to hear any advice on how to get started etc... thanks alot,

cyo
buy a gun, fins, boots, and mask and get on it. start out on other fish like sheap heads, pompanos, cuberra snaps and then work up to bigger fish.

=

·
Registered
211 Posts
scubaru said:
And as for AJ's, yeah you might pop him at 80', but before you can grab your power inflator your at 110' and still going deeper. I'll just stick with blowing bubbles and wearing all that "heavy gear".
Amen on the bubbles. If I am going for a ride, which I am sure will happen, then I want that all to precious thing they call air. I can always bail out at 120 to 130 feet and go get another spear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts