2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all had them. What are some of yours? First one that comes to my mind was the time we were giggin' at POC. Near Decros Point, back toward the bay side. Perfect night. Darker than a grave. Clear water, strong incoming. I ease off the first sandbar with my trusty coleman and thru the first gut toward the bank when I first saw it. It looked like a big log. Motionless, until the light from the lantern spooked him. Then all hell broke loose! It was a Sawfish! Maybe 6 footer. Came right at me and turned at the last second. Man, that saw was a wicked looking creature! Almost had a " pants go brown moment". That was somewhere in the mid 60's. First and last time I ever looked at a Sawfish. Hope I never forget it! Still pluggin'-Old Salty

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Sawfish were wiped out in Texas during the late 1960s. They didn't get along with gillnets and shrimpboat nets and when they got tangled up, fishermen cut the saw off for a souveneir. Sounds like you spooked a small one; they grow to 18 feet.

The flounder gigging back then must have been pretty impressive, and so was Pass Cavallo in those days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
my uncle and I saw a sawfish out of his 23 foot mako during the spring of 1992 (he has the non-digital pics)..fish was at least 15 feet and just cruising in west bay in about 6 feet of water

·
Registered
100 Posts
In the late 80's I lived in Acapulco, Mexico.. I had a 25 foot ski supreme (closed bow) converted to fishing duties with 12 foot outriggers and a center rigger;).. I fished every weekend with my friends and probably caught more sailfish than any 18 year old in the world. During the late fall, HUGE schools of yellowfin tuna, dog-tooth tuna, and skipjack tuna move in close to shore. It was during one of those days that my story takes place.
It was about 10 am and we had been catching a few skipjack tuna . These are very bloody and not very good to eat. I could see the yellowfin intermixed with the skipjack and I had the great idea of getting on the bow of the boat with a spinner rod and cast to individual fish as the swam by. The water of the south pacific was rough that day 4-5 footers and choppy. As far as the eye could see there were fish at the surface ranging from 8-60 lbs and a greenish-red substance a full 1/2 inch thick covered the outer-most layer of the ocean. This substance was blood. My father was on the boat and he said he could see big fish over the port side. As I looked into the water I saw 4 different sharks swimming by. One of them was the biggest hammerhead I have ever seen and the others I am not sure what kind of shark they were, but I suspect Mako's for their speed and choppy like tail movements that have always given them away. Right about that time, with my father distracted at the helm and me standing on the wet fiberglass of the bow a 5 foot wave struck the boat. Off I went head first into the blood filled, shark infested waters. I immediately let go of the rod and tried to pull myself up on to the bow. Try as I might I could not get but 2/3 of my body out of the water. Legs dangling and splashing in the water for what seemed like an eternity. Reason finally kicked in after the initial adrenalin rush. I had only one choice. I had to let go and fall back into the water. I dog paddled THE LONGEST 25 feet of my life to the rear ski platform. I was pretty cool and collected up until I was able to touch the platform at which time everyone on board swears I pulled myself in so fast, I simply "appeared" into the boat . I am sure many of you may not find this that scary. But let me tell you, surrounded by sharks that are known "man eaters" in a frenzy.... I think myself fortunate and I always think of that balmy fall Acapulco morning and thank the lord I can share the story with all my extremities :D

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah! Nothing like a good shark story. My wife's cousin from Mobile was training for some sort of competition, I think they call it "Iron Man" where they run, swim and bicycle. He was swimming at Gulf Shores, AL one morning and found himself in the middle of a big school of baitfish. Shortly, He was hit by a Bullshark. He told me it was about a 7 footer. He was attacked multiple times during this event by the same shark that was determined to kill him. Finally ended up on a shallow sand bar with the shark working his way up his arm and finally it took his right arm off above the elbow. He told me he survived this fight only because of his determination to not leave his children. Man, I can't talk about this one anymore.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
7 or 8 years ago and my last night wading trip was because of a shark. I was on teh east shoreline of trinity fishing over shell and felt something bump me hard. Didnt think much of it because I really thought it was a redfish since I have been hit by reds before at night. Then I get bumped again and this time it knocked me off of my feet. So I walk up on the shell which is above water and I see the fin stocking out of teh water. Couldnt tell how big I just knew it was big. I was so petrified it took me and my buddy an hour before I had the cajones to wade over to the boat. We basically argued that hour on who was going to go to the boat. I lost teh argument since it was my boat. That was the last time I waded at night

·
Registered
603 Posts
Last summer I was wade fishing the surf at San Luis pass and I was on the 2nd sand bar picking up sand trout on every other cast. So caught up in the action I too was bumped really hard almost knocked me off my feet, no sweat until I saw it come again right next my hip where I had 3 sand trout hanging that had made their way all the way up the stringer next to me. All I saw was a portion of his head and part of his body , it was about 5 or 6 ft long , I dont know what kind of shark it was but I no longer keep any fish haning on my hip when I wade fish

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
A couple of months ago I was fishing the Freeport shoreline of the Brazos River, near the locks. A friend of mine was fishing the bow, I was at the stern. I kept seeing a 6 ft gator gar roll over with a large prop wound to its head. Its upper jar was mangled, making it looked even more menacing than a usual gator gar. This thing was freaky looking. Every time it came up, I tried to point it out to my friend. He would "yeah, yeah, yeah", and keep fishing. I happened to turn around right in time to see the the head of this thing come about 2 feet out of the water, at the bow of the boat. He saw it this time, and I saw his skin color change as he fell out of the bow chair screaming like a little girl. I was sympathetic, as this thing was UGLY! But, it was still one of the funniest things I have seen in a long, long time.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another giggin' tale

POC area again near Pass Cavallo. I think sort of near "The Cedars". There were many sandbars and guts running parallel to the shoreline. As we would move thru the guts to another sand bar, we would constantly be blind giggin' in front of us in case of a ray. I stuck something but out of force of habit pulled the gig right back up. Then felt a good thump on my foot and immediate serious pain in my big toe. I thought for sure it must be a stingray. I'm scared ******** cause I've heard how bad a stringray hit is. As I am telling my Dad I've been hit, I see a big flounder layin' up on top of the next sandbar. So I hobble up and stick him. When I put him on the stringer I see he has 2 gig holes. We used single prong gigs. So when we get back to the boat and I pull off my tennis shoe, I see I have 2 punctures on top of my big toe, and bleeding. My dad says "mystery solved". I had blind gigged that same same flounder and when I accidentally let him go he ran into my foot and instinctively bit me! The holes in my big toe matched the teeth in that flounders mouth. Thank God it was not a stingray! Still pluggin'-Old Salty

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Couple of tales...

POC...."middle ground" (Shallow sandbars in Pass Cavallo..not there anymore) around early '60s..At low tide, a lot of the shallow islets and sandbars at the middle grounds were out of the water. We were wading along in shin deep crystal clear water snagging quite a few trout out in the deeper water on spoons....would lose about one out of four to sharks.

Big "fish" running giant schools of 10" mullet all over the place. All of a sudden about 1/2 an acre of mullet storm out of the water, right next to me, and about a 12' shark, and a couple dozen of the mullet leap, jump up on the sandbar/isle. The sharks' momentum carried him about 20' onto the sandbar, and there he lay, flopping around with a couple of dozen mullet around him. I backed up on the bar, and just watched....he seemed to know which direction the water was, and after about 3 or 4 min. flopped back in and swam off!

'Nother one...early 60's, San Louis Pass....Pop and I and Bob were in cousin Bobs' 13' whaler, anchored off to the side of the pass tossing mirrorlures into a hole that was an instant strike from a trout after you let it sink about 10 seconds.

All of a sudden, the boat spun around about 45 degrees and started moving offshore! We kinda looked at each other with wide eyes, and Pop said "WTH?" We were moving through the water about 5 knots, boat was pulling a wake....it took about 20 seconds for us to come to grips with the situation. SOMETHING had our anchor line and was towing us. I was in the bow, and Bob said " cut the anchor line!" I whipped out my knife and sliced through it. And there we sat, bobbing in the water laughing.

We never did see anything, but evidently, a Manta ray had swam under the boat and snagged the anchor on one of his wings and was towing us. We had to go to the back of the pass and beach the boat, and wade the flats the rest of the morning....no anchor....sure hated to have to leave the trout in that wash out!!

Sawfish....Cousin Bob on another trip behind the pass (San Louis)..hung a good fish back in the shallows...after about a 20 min fight got him up close...was about a 3 1/2' Sawfish.....this was sometimes in the early 60's. When he got close, got to splashing around and mirrorlure pulled out, so didn't have to deal with trying to land him/her! LOL

Later
R3F

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Red3Fish

Man, that big shark up on that sandbar must have been a site to see! It can be truly amazing what happens on this coast.

·
Practice safe fishing; use a Corky
1,697 Posts
I recently inspected a house in Pasadena for a nice young man who told me one of the best I have heard lately. He was wading the surf and felt something large displace water next to his legs. He kept fishinn, and, in a little while, it happened again. This time he went on in to put his fish in the cooler in the back of his truck. When he finished icing the fish, he turned around, and there stood a large alligator on the beach right behind him.

Told me he doesn't wade anymore.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
When I bought my boat, my wife agreed to let me take it out by myself. She did make me promise that if I was alone, I would stay in the boat. I was drifting the deeper end of a shoreline fed reef in Trinity by myself one Summer mid-morning during the week. Every time I crossed the end I would stick one or two trout. (better fish if I could get it to the bottom) It was difficult due to strong SE wind, with strong incoming tide. I decided to officially break my vow, as I HAD to walk out on the end of that shell bar & get on those fish. I came around once more , a little closer on the reef this time, & dropped my hook in the mud just south of the reef & was letting out rope until I drifted past & just north of the reef (3' of water). I decided it would be a good time to take a quick break, have a sandwich, & drink a beer before I broke my promise. Of course my Wade Aid was hanging in the garage so my Angel would see it as she left for work. I dug out my throw down belt & stringer and was ready to jump out. I suddenly noticed a shadow in the water about 5-6 feet behind my boat. There was a quick swirl & it came a little closer. ALL BS ASIDE...5-6' Bull Shark (guestimating 150-175 lbs). I've had a few stringers taken away from me, & had to rod whip (& break) an expensive rod on smaller sharks...This was different. I sat there & watched it for about 3-4 minutes (humbling episode) before it got bored & left. I pulled up & continued my drifting pattern. Ya'll can't blackmail me because I've confessed my potential transgression. To this day (6 years later) I have kept my promise.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
POC....Sasquatch....

My fishing buddy has an airboat, that we usually use at POC. I am retired, and he owns his own business, so we only have fished during the week days for the last 15 or so years. One of his favaorite wades used to be from the old pier on Matagorda Isle to the Air Base...prolly 1 1/2 mile. (I say "used to be" his favorite....have caught little on this routine for last 3 yrs....I attribute it to all the shallow running boats up on the flats).

We would "park" around the old pier, and he would take off down the shore to the west, and I would fish Lighthouse Cove. I would give him enough time to do his wade then get in the airboat and go pick him up.

About 5 yrs ago, as I swung around behind him, I saw what looked like a big log in the water, where none had been before? As I "putted" by it, about 10' away and in 15" of water, all of a sudden the water exploded, and a 10' gator jumped about 1/2 out of the water!

Rob had been facing away, making a last cast, and due to the airboat noise didn't hear or see anything. As I killed the engine, and drifted up behind him, I said "Did you see that big gator 40' behind you?" He said
"BS!!" LOL I said "common". We walked the boat over to him, and got right up next to him/her, which was all the way under the water now, just lying there. I took the anchor...(kinda like messing with Sasquatch!) and tossed it onto the gators back and all heck broke loose! He had a couple of RF on his stringer, and I think that gator had aspirations on those RF. We had a throw away camera, and took some pics and left it alone.

Funny thing, that gator stayed in that same area, for a couple of years, about 300 yds to the east of the air base channel, up in the shallow, knee deep water. We would go "visit" him for a couple of years. Nearly ALWAYS right there. We heard it bellowing early one morning, so must have been a male.

Rob would have had a story to tell, if that gator had snuck up another 40' and latched onto a couple of RF!! LOL

Later
R3F

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
did not happen to me but one of my customers. a couple of years ago a big storm hit galveston bay in the middle of the afternoon. i saw the storm coming on radar at home and told him he best get to port. well he got caught in it and was by himself. he is not a rookie on the water but this storm was bad, real bad. water was coming over the bow and stern of his boat. he had his life jacket on ect... trying to make his way to eagle point. well to make a long story short he ended up seeing one lone light from a shoreline which he went too and it lead him into topwater. robert meet him outside, helped him tie up the boat and inside they went. he was very lucky to make it back to a safe harbor. robert asked him how did you make it in and he told him because of the light ontop of your building. robert looked at him puzzled and said we haven't had power for over and hour and still don't. can you say his prayers were answered! nobody in the san leon area had power. true story!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Some time during the summer of 1983 I found myself out at the end of the Texas City Dike. A place I often frequented. Like weekly (as I then lived in Texas City). And as anyone that loves tossing long rods with 4-6 oz. weights knows, that place is snag city, especially near the end fishing towards the TC channel.

Well, dang it, another snag. After having already lost a couple rigs I decided I would not go gently into that good night. Besides, I had 60lb. line on the reel so I cranked the drag down as low as it would go. I held the surf rod over my shoulder parallel to the ground and started 'the walk of shame' across the road. Did so several times; each time gaining a little but still couldn't free it. I walked back to the granite boulders and sat down and did some thinking (my first mistake). Decided it was time to go diving. Who knows what I might find.
I laid the rod down and wedged it just enough that I could loop one of my fingers over it so as to follow it down into the water, you know, to see where it might lead me. I had my surf baggies on, a pair of tennis shoes, grabbed a filet knife and off into the calm green water I jumped.

Forget it. The line led a little further out then I has suspected, thinking "Dang, it sure gets deep here quick!"

Had another thought; this one sheer genius. I climbed out of the water and grabbed my gaff. I used it to allow me to trace the line down. "Hey, this works!" as I finally found the nest.

In the muted light I see quite a ball of 'cool stuff.' I swam up to the surface to get my breathe and then down again. As soon as I got to the bottom I took the filet knife and started hacking and cutting all the line I could get. I made it back to the surface just nanno-seconds from goin' blue.

After a couple more deep breathes I headed back down. Cutting into tight fishing line was tougher than I had anticipated, especially with your butt floating above your head…. I had a handful of the stuff and felt that if I could grab it, I could get my feet onto the ground and then just 'pull up.' "Yeah, that ought to work!"

So I did so and, sure enough, I started to get some of the line to break. I took one last hold of the ball of 'STUFF" and started to swim up with it when all of a sudden I had this incredible pain in my right thumb. It was an eye-opener! A large hook had embedded itself just below the thumb nail! Heck, I was still a few feet from the surface… Amazing how life kinda takes on a whole new perspective at times like these.

With the remaining moments in my life I managed to cut the line from that hook (and one or two other lines caught up in it) and swam to the surface. Wasn't really a swim I did to the surface. I more or less just 'surfaced.'

In shock I'm looking at the idiots standing on the rocks. No one seemed to notice anything. I lifted my right hand as I swam nearer to where I could feel bottom; it had a very deep gouge it the thumb and was bleeding heavily. For some reason it rather ****** me off…

I squeezed on to the thumb and then squeezed the gaff and went about 10 feet out or so and hooked into some of the lines with the gaff, twisted it around a few times and managed to get close enough to the rocks to touch. I balled up what I could of the line and backed my truck to the rocks and tied the line(s) onto the trailer hitch. I took an old piece of wood and laid it under the lines atop the boulders so the line wouldn't fray and then dropped the truck into gear and hit it, freeing the ball of stuff.

Long story shorter; I had enough spider and sand weights to last me ten+ years. I recall getting over 45 of them, plus dozens of other assorted cra_. Add to that the tetanus shot and a weeks worth of antibiotics, heck, within 8 days I was good to go…

Never told the wife the whole story; and she's never heard of 'Long Rodder.'

·
Registered
844 Posts
Four years ago I was with my inlaws in Gulf Shores, AL. We were on a pontoon boat cruising the surf. I got on the back of the boat to chunk a spoon at some schooling lady fish. I turned around to tell my FIL to kill the engine and when I looked back there was a turtle the size of a VW Bug looking at me less than ten feet away. It scared the **** out of me. Every one on the boat was able to see it and take a few pics. We ended up seeing 4 more that day. It was unreal how big they were.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I've had some encounters with sharks as I sure most of us have. The scariest moment I had on the water, I was Bass fishing at night in Toledo Bend. I had taken a couple of nice bass. The only thing you could hear was the frogs and the crickets. Beautiful calm night. All the sudden a monster kicked my 14 foot boat from underneath. It sounded like a hard hit on a bass drum. The boat came up and I lost my balance. Thank goodness I fell in the boat. I was so scared, I got week in the legs and went down to my knees. I thought I was going to pass out. After I finally calmed down, I got the flash light out and 20 feet away was a pair of eyes, looking at me. Not that big ! About a 5 foot gator.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This brings back bad memories. Running throw lines on the Trinity at Anahuac at 2:00 in the morning, had tied off on a log jam where a huge gator had been a couple of days earlier, and snakes always laid up. Approaching looking for red eyes, snakes, etc. Had tied about a foot under water to keep lines from being cut or run, so had to reach down to pick it up. Started out and felt a good tug, so kept the line low in the water. Just said we have a good one here, when something totally engulfed my arm to the armpit. I let go the line, they said I screamed like a baby, and it took forever to get a light on. I had my foot on the gunwhale, thinking "take the arm, just don't get me out of this boat". Turned out, a huge eel had wrapped up my arm like a worm. He was as big around as my arm and had a nasty set of teeth. Thank godness he was hooked good, because he didn't quit trying to bite me until we got his head beat off with an oar. I don't know how much he weighed, but he was at least 5-6 ft. long. Scarriest moment of my life, by far.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
For me....

I think Jfoster takes the blue ribbon for chills on the spine!! That one makes me wince and holler.

Later
R3F

1 - 20 of 61 Posts