2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found it in the flower beds while weeding. It looked like it had been there for a while. It had a blueish grey plumage, and a hooked beak. I found two band attached to it's legs. One was a gold band with the number 27 and A3 on it. The other was a silver band with DBN119 on it.

My guess it that it was someone's pet, but I haven't a clue how to contact the owners. Oh well. If you have any ideas, let me know. I am sure that if it was my animal, I would want to know.

BTW, I live in NE FB County.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
It could be a cockatiel or a small parrot. I don't know what area you live in, but you could look in the classifieds to see if someone reported a lost bird--or you could run an ad to see if someone lost a bird.

As for the bands on the legs, you can probably talk to a bird vet or bird breeder for information on how to decipher what they mean. The bands could ID the breeder, etc.

If you've got time on your hands, you could do a www.google.com search on birds until you find out what kind it is, then contact one of the breeders of that breed, and get their help on the ID tags.

It's unfortunate that it died, but if it was mine, I'd want to know. I've seen one ad with picture, run in our paper everyday for over a year, for a missing dog in Crystal Beach!

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
I found some info to help

I would be interested in what you find out. I have often wondered about bands and with all the "banders" how to tell one from another.
This is the info listed on:
http://www.petinfo4u.com/advanced_birds.htm

Leg Bands - There are two types of leg bands;
  • Closed leg bands - Most closed leg bands are attached on a baby at about three weeks. It is slipped over the foot and as the leg grows, the foot becomes too large to allow the band to slip off. It should never be so tight as to cause swelling in your birds leg. Closed bands usually signify that a bird is captive-bred. Closed bands are the most reliable band which cannot be substituted unless cut-off.
  • Open leg bands are found on legally imported wild-caught birds. They are open to allow fitting on a fully grown bird. Some breeders use open leg bands on their aviary birds that are caught at adult size.
Bands come in metal or plastic. The colored plastic bands are usually used by breeders of captive-bred birds to differentiate between the males, females and parentage. Leg bands are an inexpensive way to identify your bird. The other alternative is microchipping.

We feel that leg bands are important because they provide important identifications such as proof of ownership in cases of loss or theft, tracking and breeding histories, as well as they are required by government regulation. Birds that are being sold without leg bands can have questionable backgrounds such as theft and illegal entry in to the United States. It is important to have these regulations to discourage illegal entry and prevent possible spread of infectious diseases in our bird population. If you choose to have your bird's leg band removed, be sure to have a veterinarian do the cutting to avoid injury and he can also provide a certified document that your bird had a band and what the numbers were in case of future sale.

Below are some of the common markings that can be found on leg bands:

Open Bands - Will usually have a State abbreviation followed by 3 or 4 identification numbers. The State abbreviation refers to the USDA Quarantine facility where your bird was imported. There are also private quarantine facilities that use the name of their facility followed by numbers. Breeders and shippers use open bands for identification that commonly include their initials and a number.

Closed Bands - Will usually have a breeder code followed by idenficiation numbers and the year it was born.

Some of the common abbreviations for Organizations found on leg bands:

ABS - American Buderigar Society

ACS - American Cockatiel Society

ALS - African Lovebird Society

AS - American Singer Club

NCS - National Cockatiel Society

NFS - National Finch & Softbill

SPBE - Society of Parrot Breeders & Exhibitors

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Dont wanna worry ya, but..

Dont wanna worry ya, but, did you consider it coulda died of west Nile? I found a dead gackle in my yard the other day and picked up with a plastic bag without touching. I dont know if you can catch it from touching or not but I didnt take the chance. Just a thought..

Later
R3F

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Now that's a scary thought Red3Fish

And your advice "not to touch" is the very best to offer!
Here in Miami/Dade, Fl, we have been on constant alert because of the cases of West Nile that we've had here in the past couple of months. The death toll has reached 3, the last I heard. Every news cast we're told to spray ourselves and our pets with repellent before we step outside the house. We're also told to wear long sleeve shirts and pants to the ankles.
News started yesterday to issue additional warnings saying the trucks that have been fogging the neighborhoods to get the skeeters, of course, haven't been running because of the hurricane. We are to take extra precaution.
Also we are to check our property thoroughly for any standing water.
The first signs here were dead birds. I sure hope this stuff hasn't come your way...but I wouldn't be surprised considering the winds.
BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL EVERYONE!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I thought this was interesting. It is in the Chronicle.

Birds could be dining on deadly toxin

Substance can develop in storage or backyard feeder

By DINA CAPPIELLO
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The next biological attack could be waged from the backyard bird feeder.

Research conducted at Texas A&M University-Kingsville has detected high levels of aflatoxin â€" a byproduct of a fungus that creates AIDS-like symptoms in birds â€" in 20 percent of over-the-counter bird feed purchased in Texas.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2781943

1 - 6 of 6 Posts