2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a couple pair of the ForEveralst ray guards as Christmas gifts. I have read many threads on this site and others about these boots and I really like what I have read. When I went to buy them I noticed that if you buy the Ray Guard set the boot and the leg cover piece are actually sewn together but you can also buy the Reef boots and then buy the leg covers seperately. I originally thought that the Rayguards were a two piece system, I did not know they were sewn together. I like the idea of being able to get into the boat and take the leg piece off and leave the boots on if I want, or using the Reef boots on days when I don't need the stingray leg protection. Do any of ya'll use the Reef boots and the leg covers together? If so, how do they work out? Do you have any problems keeping the leggings on and down where they are supposed to be to protect the ankle? Thank you for any feedback or advice you have on these, I am going to buy these for my dad and brother and probably a set for myself as well.

·
Hector
1,019 Posts
I have used the separate system for about 5 years now and it's about time I go buy me a new set! I have absolutely no complaints using these separately. I use them when I go flounder gigging and wade fishing with the leggings staying on very, very comfortably. The only modification I did was drill an extra hole on the side of the boots to help with faster drainage and you can wear some neoprene socks with them on the hotter summer days more comfortably.

I was skeptical about buying the whole set together because I could see how it would be hard to put them on and take them off comfortably (especially with waders that have neoprene stockings). Buying them apart, they are easier to manage, clean and store in between uses.
The leggings have done their job staying on to protect my ankles with no problem. There will be times you will want to wear the shoes without the leggings to do other things before you actually get into the water. Like I said, I would recommend buying them separately 'cause you'll grow a bigger appreciation for each system the more you use them. I hope this helps. -Hector

Ask me about: http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/index.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hector. I am glad to hear you like them. We do alot of wade fishing in the winter and it is a real pain to get my Hodgemans on and off in the boat over my waders. The ForEverlast look like they will be a little easier to manage.

·
Native Texan
10,977 Posts
I also have the wading shoes and leg guards seperate. Like Hector, I like them seperate. I would recommend buying them a size or two larger than normal shoe size to allow for neoprene socks or stocking foot waders when it is colder.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Simms

Go with the new Simms Flats boots. They offer the same protection as the Foreverlast and they are about 1/4 of the weight. They are pretty tuff to find... I went 2 sizes bigger and they fit with my waders perfect! Also Simms customer service is unmatched.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Go with the new Simms Flats boots. They offer the same protection as the Foreverlast and they are about 1/4 of the weight. They are pretty tuff to find... I went 2 sizes bigger and they fit with my waders perfect! Also Simms customer service is unmatched.
I don't know about offering the same protection, but they are lighter.
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/flats_boot.html#

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
"Featuring puncture & abrasion resistant material" is not the same as Ray Guards I would think but I have not put my hands on the Simms boat. Where can one see & feel this product?

·
Registered
434 Posts
These things are far more rugged than the Foreverlast. Go take a look at them and make your own choice. I Have not seen many Ray hits above the upper ankle. I know when I was hit it was right at the ankle.

The Simms should protect anglers from normal ray hits.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
These things are far more rugged than the Foreverlast. Go take a look at them and make your own choice. I Have not seen many Ray hits above the upper ankle. I know when I was hit it was right at the ankle.

The Simms should protect anglers from normal ray hits.
Yes, I'd like to eyeball some of the new Simms boots. I do think that you're right about most hits being in the foot or ankle area, but if you are wading soft bottom the strike zone moves up the leg. Then there are hits like Capt. Lynn
Smith's......

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you go the two piece route, take a look at the Crackshot shields. Higher quality and much more durable IMO. Those Simms boots look pretty sharp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts