2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem eating tuna is medium rare to rare is not appealing to me. No matter how I look at it, it is difficult for me to overcome eating anything that is rare. Tuna is recommended to be eaten that way since, IMO, it tastes like dry cardboard when overcooked. I tend to cook mine medium to medium rare. This works good for me. Here are some recipes I like. Make sure you cut out and discard all dark meat (ideally when initially cleaning the fish). Tuna freezes very well when vacuum packed. It will lose its pretty color when frozen.

1. Blackened tuna sandwhich: blacken with chef Paul Prudhommes seasoning (make sure to paint the fillet with butter, put on seasoning, then put on grill. while on the grill, I do the same to the side not cooking. I usually put some butter in the pan prior to cooking and add a little olive oil to prevent from drying out) to medium (pink center), add cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and put on a toasted roll. This tastes great!

You can also grill the tuna and eat the sandwich with the grilled tuna instead.

2. Grill to medium or medium rare. Keep coating with a mix of butter +/- olive oil to keep the fish moist. It is a very lean fish and dries out easily.

3. place in foil, add some butter and beef fajita seasoning, fold foil into a tent, and bake at about 400 for 15-20 minutes. This will make it medium well, which some people will consider overcooked. Derease cooking time if desired.

4. My friend bakes or steams it and then makes his own tuna salad. If you like tuna salad, then this would turn out very good and can be kept in the fridge for awhile. Unfortunately, I do not eat tuna salad.

5. Make a green salad with balckened tuna. This will taste great and is one of my favorites.

6. shiskobobs, place on wooden skewers, add red, green, and yellow peppers plus/minus anything else you like. Brush with a butter/olive oil 1:1 mix until medium to medium rare

7. more kabobs

2 pounds of tuna, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes

1 pound of fresh mushrooms

marinade
1 cup of olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bay leaf, crushed
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Sauce
4 Tbsp of lime juice
3/4 cup of olive oil
2 Tbsp of chopped parsley
2 tsp of chopped oregeno
1/4 tsp of salt

Mix the marinade ingredients together, then add the mushrooms and tuna to the marinade in a glass bowel. cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or more.

To make the sauce, mix all the sauce ingrediants well and let stand for 1-2 hours. This sauce will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.

Thread the fish and mushrooms on wooden skewers and sear all sides while brushing with marinade. Pour sauce (or dip into sauce) over the tuna and mushrooms when eating.

This is a great recipe.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Simple and easy when weather keeps you away from the grill.

Fresh garlic cloves (3 or 4)
3 tbl olive oil
stick of butter
a slice of onion
salt and fresh pepper to taste
tuna cut into small pieces

one cup of rice
prepare boiled/steamed rice

Mince the garlic and onion. heat pan melt butter and add olive oil. Add garlic and onion haet until tan in color add tuna pieces, do NOT crowd. Cook for a couple of minutes, this is a judgement call depending on thickness of tuna, per side.
When fish is done poor mixture of olive oil and butter from pan over rice and serve both.
Any left over tuna make a great tua salad. Hint: When making tuna salad add some crushed pineapple to the mix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts