2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up this morning early and put some seasonings together with some deer and pork and lookie here. SAUSAGE!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looks good Gator Gar! I just picked up some bactoferm LHP and am going to try to ferment some summer sausage and snack stix tomorrow. I have never used a starter culture before, so I hope I don't ruin 50 Lbs. of meat!! :cheers:

Dave

·
It's fish spelled backwards!
570 Posts
Triggered some old fond memories.

When I was a kid, I would occasionally stay with my aunt and go to work with her making sausage. Gordon's Country Sausage, Taylortown, Texas. Made sausage one day a week (or was it one day a month?)

My cousin ran the band saw, cutting up a whole, skinned hog. We first used knives to cut the meat into strips about 2" X 2" X 8" ish. It fed through the grinders easily when cut that way.

After all was cut into strips, it was ground out onto a big table. Then sage and spices were added and we mixed it with our hands. Then we washed up, so as not to get the bags dirty. A cone was attached to the grinder, and we fed it back through and into the bags.

All done by hand. My favorite part was that my aunt would always make biscuits and take them and mustard. A little gas burner sat over against the wall, on the ground. Around lunch she would cook some fresh sausage, and make sandwiches. Dont know why they were so delicious.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Triggered some old fond memories.

When I was a kid, I would occasionally stay with my aunt and go to work with her making sausage. Gordon's Country Sausage, Taylortown, Texas. Made sausage one day a week (or was it one day a month?)

My cousin ran the band saw, cutting up a whole, skinned hog. We first used knives to cut the meat into strips about 2" X 2" X 8" ish. It fed through the grinders easily when cut that way.

After all was cut into strips, it was ground out onto a big table. Then sage and spices were added and we mixed it with our hands. Then we washed up, so as not to get the bags dirty. A cone was attached to the grinder, and we fed it back through and into the bags.

All done by hand. My favorite part was that my aunt would always make biscuits and take them and mustard. A little gas burner sat over against the wall, on the ground. Around lunch she would cook some fresh sausage, and make sandwiches. Dont know why they were so delicious.
Those were the days right there. Growing up in North Carolina we did the same things when killing hogs, maybe just a shade different here and there, but it still left some fond memories from back in those days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts