2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shang-highed another unsuspecting duck & goose caller for the team and made these for him. The big call is my first Snow Goose call and just a proto type to help me get dimensionsions for parts nailed down. The reed in the goose call is from Sean Mann and is the same one in used in his world championship 'White Out" goose call. Sean is a great guy to do business with and he and his team have been a huge help to me in getting a snow goose call out the door with a sound I can be sure is going to get it done.

I don't have a goose call listed on my website yet, but several folks wanted me to make a duck & snow goose call set and I have been working on this for a while now.

Oh yea, welcome to the team TXDRAKE !

Man, I sure did miss my shop time while waiting on some electricity.....

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
ET....looks like a good 'honker to me! Is that mesquite on the left????? We are back down at Aransas Pass for the week and that much closer to the mesquite sawmill!! gb

·
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, both are mesquite, the one on the right got a soak in BLO. Sure makes a difference don't it. You can never have too much mesquite! If you make a run to the mill and see something you think I might have to have, pick it up and I'll pay you for it and your trouble. Is there such a thing as mesquite burl ?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
EndTuition said:
Yep, both are mesquite, the one on the right got a soak in BLO. Sure makes a difference don't it. You can never have too much mesquite! If you make a run to the mill and see something you think I might have to have, pick it up and I'll pay you for it and your trouble. Is there such a thing as mesquite burl ?
How 'bout this one? Headed to the lease this weekend (finally) and packing the chain saw. I'll see what I can round up while I'm there.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Keep me in mind Viking when your cutting wood. I have a piece of Mimosa drying in the garage. I sliced it in half last week. Nice looking wood. Got a piece of willow too. All the trees down after the storm and that's all I picked up? Oh well.
later, biggreen

·
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a wood Ho!
I will take wood from anybody, anytime!
Viking, just tell me where to meet you and what you like to drink.
That pen is awesome!

·
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have some "Viking wood" that Too Tall ferried across town for me. It's the lightest brightest Mesquite I have ever seen. Supper nice. I wish I knew how to make something besides a dang duck call, I could pay back all the favors I owe with some of the wood. I don't guess you guys would be interested in a potpourri bowl huh ?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Got to finish loading up and head out. I'll see what I can round up for you guys. I'm taking the tractor so I should have room on the trailer for a pretty good load. Catch ya next week.

·
www.texasdeerandranches.c om
883 Posts
wood

Viking48 said:
How 'bout this one? Headed to the lease this weekend (finally) and packing the chain saw. I'll see what I can round up while I'm there.
Call me if you get some i heed some !!!!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
deerdude2000 said:
They have burl in kingsville only about 45 minutes from freer !!!!
That one is in Rockport....great inventory but a little 'pricey'. He will work with the price though. My favorite is Nave's in Kingsville. The have some very nice mesquite and other local hardwoods. Eric and Wendy are excellent people to work with.

http://www.mesquitetree.net/

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
See any potential??

Made it back from the lease with a load of Mesquite. Tried to find crooks, swells, twists and Mistletoe. Let me know if you see a piece that will work especially well for your specialty - be forewarned that a trade might require a couple of lessons in making your specialty.
Don - let me know if you haven't upgraded your bandsaw. We'll get together and rip some blanks for you here. I'm headed for Corpus this AM but will be back Thursday night (I'll have my laptop with me). After seeing the call on another thread I'm kicking myself for not cutting some Cedar. I was looking for one specific tree I spotted on my last trip but didn't find it (imagine not finding a specific tree on 2800 acres - Duh) but I'll get some next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
For you guys on the south side of town. If you coordinate w/ Viking, I'll toss it in my truck and meet you around lunch sometime. I'm working at 610 south and 45 now. Just a bit closer than Cypress? I'm just going to steal one piece if he lets me.

later, biggreen

·
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANKS Viking ! That's 2cool !
Either of those pieces that have a flat side exposed would make for some awesome duck call blanks, but any wood big enough to quarter and get 1.5 square out of works for me.

I give lessons and I can try to meet anyone anywhere to help ferry the goods to folks. Just let me know how I can help.

There are going to be some nice stuff floating around the board in about 6-9 months!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts