2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Perch Slayer - Bambi Killer
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions about my 3 year old yellow lab.

1) Has anyone ever seen a lab that is scared of heights? My lab will not jump into a vehicle, boat, or anything else that is off the ground. If I lift him up into the bed of the truck, he just shakes and will not get off unless I lift him off. Does anyone know if there is any help for something like this? At almost 90lbs it is getting very old. And no he did not have any bad experiences involving heights at anytime.

2) I did send him off to basic and advanced training for 5 months when he as 8 months old. I personally think the trainer totally ripped me off and my lab came back fair. I never really went to any other trainers due to the fact that I was disgusted by the entire experience. He is just turned 3 years old last month and my question is that is it to late to get him back into training? Are there any trainers that are very respected that would take a dog this old?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

FYI about the lab...He is male, yellow and was purchased from pecan acres (www.classiclabs.com).

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
I have a dog that hated the truck. Same experience you describe. I finally put her in the truck and started taking her to play places. After a few trips, she started associating the truck with play time and she's good with it now-although still not just real excited.

I would never send a dog off to be trained. As far as I'm concerned, training is as much about the training the human as it is the dog. I'm sorry you and your dog suffered that mistake. Find a trainer that will insists on working with both of you. Labs are eager to please and intelligent. Give it a try.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I agree with B4B.

Does your dog have a "place" command? If not, that would be my suggestion. Get him to "place" on a rug, then an ottoman, then a lawn chair or bench. Once he has this down, the tailgate should just be another spot for him to "place". The command is pretty easy, because the dog can do whatever he or she wants (sit/stand/down/circle) on the place except leave.

I don't think 3 years is too old at all!! Think how much you have learned after the age of 21.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
get the dog training dvd from cabelas, i have water dog and top gun they will show you how to turn instincts into comands, like the command kennel, that is a comand to go into something, it may be the bath tub, boat, car, or the kennel.
plus it shows you a lot of other stuff for the dogs

·
Banned
4,526 Posts
If you are not addicted to the program "Dog Whisperer" you need to be. Caesar Milan will tell you that dogs live in the present and any age dog can be "trained". It's all in knowing what and how to do it. Get his books, and DVD's, and try what he does. It's all about the dog's trust and respect for YOU. As Caesar puts it, "I rehabilitate dogs and train humans". Good luck.

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,574 Posts
If the dog likes to retrieve, set him in the back of the truck and throw him a couple of retrieves while hes in the back of the truck and send him from the truck. Being a big dog, there may be something going on physically "pain" when getting out of the truck, have you had the dogs hips checked??? If its causing the dog pain by getting out of the truck, you need to get the dog a ramp for getting in and out of the truck. If a big dog has questionable hips, it cant be good for the dog to be jumping up into the truck either.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,901 Posts
Get a set of steps & have the dog load & unload in the truck...after time he should be comfortable enough to jump in & out..If he doesnt..there could be a Joint issue or other??
Have you taken him to the Vet for an X-ray Lately..? Some bone & joint issues do not show on an x-ray & a Manual exam may be nessasary,& or sedation to give him a good once over..

Oxx..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Sounds like he needs to learn to associate the truck with good times. I've trained several narcotics, police dogs in addition to hunting dogs. Most police dogs that come from overseas don't do well in vehicles at first simply because they haven't been in them much. Surfspecs advise was sound. Simply make being in the truck fun for him until he relaxes and learns to enjoy it. Heck find someplace like a low dock or peir and throw for himoff of that if he like to retreive then work up from there. And in case your wondering Labs, make the best scent dogs (drug dogs) IMO. By the way here's a question for. What do all yellow and chocolate labs want to be? The answer is -Black! LOL That sure to stir up some smack!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
tokavi said:
Sounds like he needs to learn to associate the truck with good times. I've trained several narcotics, police dogs in addition to hunting dogs. Most police dogs that come from overseas don't do well in vehicles at first simply because they haven't been in them much. Surfspecs advise was sound. Simply make being in the truck fun for him until he relaxes and learns to enjoy it. Heck find someplace like a low dock or peir and throw for himoff of that if he like to retreive then work up from there. And in case your wondering Labs, make the best scent dogs (drug dogs) IMO. By the way here's a question for. What do all yellow and chocolate labs want to be? The answer is -Black! LOL That sure stir up some smack!
Funny. What do MOST black labs want to be?...Pure bred. lol

·
Perch Slayer - Bambi Killer
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OxbowOutfitters said:
Get a set of steps & have the dog load & unload in the truck...after time he should be comfortable enough to jump in & out..If he doesnt..there could be a Joint issue or other??
Have you taken him to the Vet for an X-ray Lately..? Some bone & joint issues do not show on an x-ray & a Manual exam may be nessasary,& or sedation to give him a good once over..

Oxx..
That is a good idea about the steps. My trainer also suggested his hips but all was 100% fine so I ruled that out. I think it is a good old fashioned phobia. The main problem though is once he gets in the truck I cannot get him off. He will leave huge claw marks just to stay in one place. He just freezes. I truly think he would stay back there for a week if I just left him. The minute he hits the ground at the ranch he is having a blast. He love the water also and has no problem leaping off a bank.

·
TxDuSlayer
4,804 Posts
First thing I would recommend is getting the weight off your dog 90lbs to much. If you have a place where he can swim take him as much as you can because swimming they lose alot of weight quick. My lab sometimes does this not because she's scared but she doesn't want to jump up so she waits for me to pick her up.
Whatever you do don't force the dog to it beacuse this will create even more problems. Try throwing a couple of his favorite treats into the bed of the truck and coaxing him to jump and see what happens.
A trainer that would higly recommend is Rusty Caster at Fowl Mouth Kennels. He is an awesome trainer and tells you like it is if the dog isn't going to cut it and do what you want it to do then he's not going to keep taking your money trying to train the dog. If you want pm and I will give you his number.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
All I will say is Bill Corcoran at Heritage Kennels www.heritage-kennels.com is VERY hard to beat and I can tell you that from personal experiance that more times than not that you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to trainers. A great trainer will get something done in 3-4 months that will take a so-so trainer 6 months to a year or more to do.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Give him a few treats while in the truck. My 90 pound black lab absolutly loves the truck more than anything. He loves to ride. When he is acting up or ignoring you just say the word truck or pick up the keys and you have one bouncing happy dog.

Dinho asked about thunderstorms. My dog hates them and will snuggle really close or try to hide between my legs during a storm. Lots of wind or thunder and he gets nervous. Wasn't always like that. Started at about 2 years old. Had some bad storms when he was the only one home and a tree came down in the yard. ever since then he gets scared.
Mine is ruined he is so spoiled. Spends his day in the a/c watching animal planet. When I work outside and it's hot he stands in the kitchen in the a/c with his head out the doggie door so he can keep an eye on what I am doing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
mother nature

The best dog I ever owned would not load up when he was a young lab. A shade tree trainer friend of mine told me the next time I was hunting throw a dove, duck etc into the back of the truck and hold your dog along with another dog off the back of the truck 10 or 15 feet and create a little competition. Mother nature will call him into the bed of the truck and he will never know he did it..............worked for my dog.

Good luck

·
www.saltgrassretrievers.c om
763 Posts
While most of what has been offered here is sound advice, I will add that you should think in small steps. Get him to jump up onto something low then build on that using the same command. Stadium bleachers work great. I will strongly caution you not to have your dog jump up or down from any significant heights as a habit. It is extremely hard onthe joint (hips and elbows). Get in the habit of lifting your dog into and out of the truck or buy a ramp. And I know that Pecan Acres produces some very pretty dogs however they are mostly from show backgrounds. I am not knocking their program trust me, I ahve a dog from her that I has been able to get is SH title and he's a chocolate (that was for you tokavi !). So they do have some potential.
As a far as trainers, you must be realistic with your expectations and accuratly convey that to your trainer. Like anyone else you hire, you should ask for references and check them out. Watch how they train other peoples dogs not just yours. I strongly urge you to take an active roll in his training also. As mentioned above, a lot of getting the most from your trained retreiver involves training the handler as well.
Here's some possible sources for you to find a trainer near you. Good luck and let me know if I can help.
http://www.tejashrc.org/
http://www.alamoretriever.org/
http://www.cbrcoftexas.com/
http://www.prta.net/
Good website for info and to have questions answered...
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.