2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Ragman said:
Hey DMC- Excellent report and perspective and thanks for sharing!

What are some of the things that you won't take next time and the things you will take next time.

BTW, I'm glad to see you mention a next time!
Some of the things I won't take next time are some of the weights I had. I had way too many weights and the wrong type. Teardrop weights are ok, but the large egg sinkers are much more to my style. The Academy in the Brazos mall area were completely out of the large egg sinkers, so find them somewhere else. 8 ounce sinkers seem to be the key, and you can obviously stack them if need be.

More knife jigs, less random offshore tackle. More 4X trebles and less terminal tackle for other things. I had every hook size from 4-0 to 11-0 including ringed and gorilla hooks, super mutus and such and several packs of each. They provide bottom fishing rigs if you ask, and I never had a problem with the rigs they provide. Granted I never got ahold of a big AJ, but for the 20lb snapper, no problem. May not bring a bait fishing rod, but I kinda liked catching the hardtails. While the fishing was slow for everyone else, I was putting fish in the boat with a smaller spinning outfit and getting some fight out of them.

Less food. I didn't need half the food I brought. More easy to use food, like granola bars and such. It's so easy to open something and leave most of it to go stale when the bite is on. So something that I can eat quickly and be done with it.

TOWELS! At least one. There are showers but without a towel, you are left standing there. I put my clean clothes on over a wet body, but before I got to the galley, I was dry. :D

To be honest, I may not do much bottom fishing on my next trip, but that's me talking now. When the time comes, I will likely be right there fishing at every opportunity just like before. I may just sleep more in the daytime so I can concentrate on tuna fishing at night. This is especially true if I get my snapper early.

I use www.dotphoto.com to host the pics. I don't know why they aren't showing up for some people. I probably need to find a better hosting service. I apologize to anyone who's not seeing the pics. PM me and I will send them to you if you are interested. In fact, I have the entire post in wordpad so I will send you that and hopefully the links work for you.

One more thing: Extra pair of shoes. I wore sandals, and they are comfortable, but after standing for hours on end your feet get really sore. I could have used a fresh pair of really comfortable shoes, lots of support, fresh socks and such.

Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
On this particular trip, before the crew started loading the boat, the Captain spoke to the group about the complaints they had received on the previous trip, and in no uncertain terms, made it clear that all tackle and coolers were to be stored on the top deck, that no tables were reserved for anyone
what an idea .. even for the 12 hour trips on smaller boats with no bunks.

·
Firm Member
1,965 Posts
I'm one of the crew for the CTFB in Sept. All of my previous YFT fishing has been from much smaller boats, not charters. I asked this question on another forum a few months ago and want to pose the questions again here for more response.
I will bring the gear I usually firsh for YFT with me but I want to throw spinning gear if there is a topwater bite. I don't want to buy cheap gear but less expensive than the $350-500 rods and $700-800 reels I hear about so much. Not just cause I'm tight but because I don't want to spend 2-3 grand for a trip when I don't know if I will like charter boat fishing.
what spinning rods and spinning reels are better than adequate for the Big-E?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Go ahead and spend the money. You can't take it with you!:D I would almost bet money you are going to like it. Great tackle and not losing any fish because of tackle problems will make it that much better. Otherwise maybe you borrow some of the tackle and try it out. I currently own a Penn 9500 and FTU 30 -50 lb rod, but will soon add a Stella 20000 or Accurate Twin Spin any opinions on which of these 2 reels are better? Thanks in advance for info.:question:

WAHOO-YAHOO said:
I'm one of the crew for the CTFB in Sept. All of my previous YFT fishing has been from much smaller boats, not charters. I asked this question on another forum a few months ago and want to pose the questions again here for more response.
I will bring the gear I usually firsh for YFT with me but I want to throw spinning gear if there is a topwater bite. I don't want to buy cheap gear but less expensive than the $350-500 rods and $700-800 reels I hear about so much. Not just cause I'm tight but because I don't want to spend 2-3 grand for a trip when I don't know if I will like charter boat fishing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
DMC said:
In fact, never before had I almost feared the repercussions of casting a topwater bait to fish busting the surface. This time I felt that fear, but I overcame it after a brief rest period.
What a classic line to describe YFT fishing, Congrats on a great trip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
WAHOO-YAHOO said:
IMHO if you do the research, I don't think there is a reel that is "better than adequate" unfortunately at this time. You will have to choose between a tricked out spinning reel that is adequate or a top of the line spinning reel to fight these larger YFTs. If you try to save money and go with an adequate reel now, you might spend more money later on an upgrade. For me personally, I don't want to have any dought on my gear when I am trying to land these bigger YFTs.

As for the spinning rod, with your price range on a rod, I would go with a custom rod ie. (30-80) size to match the reel.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello Wahoo-Yahoo:
In reading your posts, I would have thought you would have been out on a couple of Big E trips by now. You will have fun. You will enjoy it. You will want to rebook ASAP. (I am thinking about putting a deposit on every trip scheduled for 2007. Therefore, I suggest you buy the best rods and reels you can afford. A Penn 9500 SS will not cut it. A Stella 20000 will (for top water). Islander Tackle in Galveston (409-621-1126 - Chris) has some good heavy spinning rods - custom made for a good price. A Tiagra 30 WLRS or Avet Pro Ex 30/2 would be the minimum suggested for chunk fishing - Heavier than a 30, a Tiagra 50 WLRS would handle anything in the GOM. The much advertised Trevala (Shimano) rod is not good for anything but snappers in my book - Chris at Islanders has some good jigging rods. Charkbait (on the net) has some River to Sea jigs that are equal to the expensive Butterfly jigs for 1/3 the price. I also recommend the Diamond Jigs (several different weights) and some Frenzy Flying Fish.
Although I saw a Penn 9500 SS explode with a YFT on a Dec. trip on the Big E, I also saw a young man (1st trip offshore) on the Mem. Day trip catch 3 YFT (one 80+Lb) w/a 9500SS, so I'll give credit where credit is due. Do a search for Dr. Sharks posts where he gives a drawing with specks for bottom rigs for AJ's & Grouper's then read everything Patrick Lamire has written.
If your tackle is too lite, you will not be very popular if it takes you more than 1 hour to land a fish. Just my .02 worth.
Thanks, John

·
Firm Member
1,965 Posts
Thanks guy's. john this will be my first charter/party boat experience but i have been chasing tuna for a few years. All of my experience has been in the caribbean and on a much smaller boat. We could and would hand line the fish quite often to get 'em in quick before the sharks got them. There were only 3-5 other people on our boat. This is just different and I don't want to be under or over equipped.

·
Registered
759 Posts
thread hijack approaching,

If your looking at something between the penn and stella
Id recomend you look at the shimano twinpower 8000 or shimano thunnus 16000
both should be in the 200-300$ range.

Id have a rod built... especially if your hedging your bets that you'll like it and want to do it again, then you only rebuy the reel not the rod and reel.

fwiw, my 9500 went through heck (cough) and back last year and I think as best I could tell from totaling it up by looking at the pics there was a total of 18 yft up to 97# landed, numerous bft up to about 20#'s and a few yft break offs
the reel had 2 explosions 1 of which required parts. cost was 12$
Also I replaced the drag for I think 15$ somewhere along the way..

I also think I added to the problem since I was fishing 80# braid but, I think the reel did pretty well for a 150$ price

That said, I now fish with a stella 20000 to prevent mechanical issues...

·
Firm Member
1,965 Posts
Yep, I've looked at the thunnus too. I may call Chris about getting a rod.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I used the Spheros 14000 on my trip, and it was adequate, but I will have a Stella for my next one. Like you, I wanted to see if I liked it. I did.

·
Registered
552 Posts
One other I forgot. I would rig as many lure leaders etc before you get on the boat as possible. When fishing is hot you don't want to be rigging. Also you don't want to be rigging when the boat is moving that is the time to be sleeping getting ready for the all nighter. I brought a lot of Red Bull to help me get through the night. Betwen the red bull and adrenililan getting sleepy was not an issue. hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That report was soo good i might have to copy it as a reference to show people what to expect. hahaha

but it was verry good and i hope to see you again on another long trip soon

i will be available for advice and questioning if anyone needs help

o and this is Lee (aka pee wee) deckhand for the big E

21 - 35 of 35 Posts