2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:an2:Ok, Lets see all of those contraptions, benches, buckets, home made levers, knives, and gloves that you Oyster Shuckers use. I'm looking for an inexpensive method that doesn't rip apart the oyster or adductor muscle and doesn't leave ones hands chewed up or sliced open after a 50 pound bag.:an1:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not to hijack your post, but I saw a guy on Emeril's show last weekend that said an oyster is easier if it is shucked from the end opposite the hinge. He did a few and it seemed easier. Can anyone comment on that as we always shucked ours by putting a knife in the hinge and prying the oyster apart. Then cutting the muscle.

Professor Jones

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I have tried to eat raw oysters so many times. I kinda wished I could. But they just come right back up as soon as I swallow one.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what I was told by a old Cajun here on Bolivar.
I dont eat near as many raw ones anymore, but a good campfire on the halfshell with a slice of cheese, jalapeno, and smoked Tabasco sauce and I'm in Heaven.

I would love to see some pics of the contraptions people use, I still prefer a solid Galveston Knife and a Chain mail glove with the lip method, but its still a b***h when you slip.

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
No it ain't, not if you want to sit around drink'n beer and eat'n oysters with crackers and hot sauce but if your want'n to cook that's the only way to go......
crackers and hot sauce? what the ...? trust me on this one ... if you want the full oyster experience, you need to ice 'em down until they're ice cold, shuck 'em yourself and suck 'em right off of the shell as you do. screw the crackers and hot sauce. that's for restaurant amateurs.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
the one commercial place i know of grinds a flat spot on a side and uses a reg. oyster knife from there.

a bud made one of those commercial style presses, i have used it several times....
down side is that you can really smash the belly meat if you force more than, "just open"

if you really wanna get fancy, make a bench with a 1x2" kicker board to push the oyster against, have seen them with a rough leather pad to push the oyeter on also

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
This is a kinda mock-up of what we used to use.. All ya need is a 10x12 scrap of wood and a couple of lengths of 2x2.. Nail it together and yore good to go.. Wedge oyster in and it really holds them good...AND cuts down on gouged hands for sure...

Back in the olden times we used to go down to the fish houses at the point at Kemah and buy a bushel sack in the shell. Wuz about 10-12 dozen per sack.. Think they were about $2.00 a bag (this wuz about 50 years ago..lol).. Get a couple of galvanized tubs...fill one with oysters and ice...fill the other with longnecks and ice.. find a comfortable spot to sit on the ground ..and GO TO TOWN !!!!... MAN !!!! that was pure FUN !!!!:rotfl:

Attachments

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,579 Posts
you can also put em whole on the pit and steam em untill they just barely split open and then they are easily opened the rest of the way, no they arent raw, but very close. Or you can let em cook longer to taste

·
Master of Boats
1,432 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad was chief bosun on a CG buoy tender. He used to bring home huge sacks of oysters from the anchor and chain, we would have half the block over, men and boys in the back yard, shucking, wimmen in the kitchen cooking. Good times, took them to the beach a few times and steamed them in a pit in the sand, along with corn in the shuck and taters.

Our best tools were old screwdrivers, flat bladed, kinda towards the thicker side, slightly sharpened on a grinder. Insert, twist and repeat as needed. The fatter the handle the better.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts