2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I remember seeing a 60 min or something like that with some dude fighting his HOA in Fl about flying his flag. He paid the fine daily and put up a huge pole and huge flag with 3 lights on it just to tick them off. Jeb Bush actually went to the HOA and they would not budge, I am guessing this would have something to do with it.......

·
Banned
317 Posts
Do you know the Bill number? I have been at war with my H.O.A. about putting up a flag pole for a couple of years. if you can get me a bill #, I'll fax it toady. Then I'll tell them to roll it up real tight and stick it up their arse. I WIN!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'd sure like to read the entire New Law before getting my hopes up. My HOA does not allow Flag Poles, only removable poles attached to your home, but the tip can't be any higher than 12' from the ground. I'd sure love to have a in ground pole installed so J could try to install new rope from time to time! lol But seriously, I'd love to be able to fly my Dad's Flag on Special days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would never live in a neighborhood with a HOA. Why would you want to live in a place where you had to deal with this crud? My life is stressful enough without having to worry about **** like this when I get to the house.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Nailsy said:
I would never live in a neighborhood with a HOA. Why would you want to live in a place where you had to deal with this crud? My life is stressful enough without having to worry about **** like this when I get to the house.
They also keep the neighbor from parking his '91 Firebird in his front yard, they help bring down the "rest" of the Christmas lights in April, and they don't allow the guy down the street to test if St Augustine can actually grow 4 feet tall. They are not all bad, IMO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey, I own the 91' Firebird in my front yard and the hoods always up because I can't get it to run. My Christmas lights are still up because I fish every weekend and my wife is to lazy to get on the roof and take them down, and my yard is 4ft tall becuase I spent all my money trying to fix my firebird and cant afford a new spark plug for my lawnmower. LOL. I grew up in a HOA neighborhood and it left a real sour taste in my mouth. I was once called and chewed out when I was sixteen for washing my new car in the driveway before a date.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Nailsy said:
Hey, I own the 91' Firebird in my front yard and the hoods always up because I can't get it to run. My Christmas lights are still up because I fish every weekend and my wife is to lazy to get on the roof and take them down, and my yard is 4ft tall becuase I spent all my money trying to fix my firebird and cant afford a new spark plug for my lawnmower. LOL. I grew up in a HOA neighborhood and it left a real sour taste in my mouth. I was once called and chewed out when I was sixteen for washing my new car in the driveway before a date.
LOL!! at least you have a good excuse for the lawn, lights, and lemon.
greenie coming to ya.

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
fishnlab said:
They also keep the neighbor from parking his '91 Firebird in his front yard, they help bring down the "rest" of the Christmas lights in April, and they don't allow the guy down the street to test if St Augustine can actually grow 4 feet tall. They are not all bad, IMO.
I hear this argument all the time to justify the neighborhood ****'s. Funny thing - my neighborhood has no HOA, and guess what? The grass gets mowed, Christmas lights come down (by Valentine's anyway), no cars on blocks in the street. Maybe I just live in the Twilight zone :rotfl:

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,321 Posts
Jerry-rigged said:
I hear this argument all the time to justify the neighborhood ****'s. Funny thing - my neighborhood has no HOA, and guess what? The grass gets mowed, Christmas lights come down (by Valentine's anyway), no cars on blocks in the street. Maybe I just live in the Twilight zone :rotfl:
no hoa for me either...

and i don;t have any of those problems myself

most cities have ordinances against that stuff anyway .. may take a little longer get get something done about it .. but it still gets done

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Jerry-rigged said:
That is awesome!! I don't know that that is the case for everyone. My post was not suggesting that without the HOA, every house would look like that, I was simply saying that they were not ALL bad.

Come on! ****'s eliminated people that were different. HOA folks at least give them a chance to conform. LOL!!

I'm all about having as little government as possible, but if HOAs help maintain the beauty of my 'hood, and keep my porperty value up, I'm okay with it. Don't forget, HOA boards are made up of the Home Owners. Sit on the board and vote if you don't like the rules.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Nailsy said:
Because some crazy people think of their home as an investment and actually want their property values to increase rather than decrease. ;)

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Notice that the article you pointed out is posted on an anti-HOA website. HOAs definitely serve their purpose in an urban area. When your house sits on an acre or two, it doesn't matter nearly as much, but when houses are 10 feet apart, the condition of your neighbor's house directly reflects on the value of yours. As said above, most HOAs are good. The bad HOAs are only bad because the people who live there would rather gripe about the HOA than to do anything about it, like vote or become involved. I can assure you that the neighborhoods in Houston with the highest property value increase rates have HOAs (River Oaks, Memorial, Champions, etc).

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
Sounds to me that they'll still have the power to tell you how it can be displayed.
SEC. 4. LIMITATIONS. H. R. 42--2
Nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display
or use that is inconsistent with--
(1) any provision of chapter 1 of title 4, United States
Code, or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display
or use of the flag of the United States (as established pursuant
to such chapter or any otherwise applicable provision of law);
or (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place,
or manner of displaying the flag of the United States necessary
to protect a substantial interest of the condominium association,
cooperative association, or residential real estate management
association.